Planche Form Critique

Started by hourjack, February 12, 2014 · 6 Replies · 2,199 Views

hourjack

I had some very close attempts to a full planche in september/octomber but since then my planche got weaker a little. I was sick in december and didn't trained anything all month and lost my oap, fl, oabl and my planche has gotten really weak. I started a new training program for all the skills. Its an endurance one, I pick a number of reps or seconds and I do sets till I get a total equal to the number. Recently I did 35-6 total seconds of straddle planche in 6 sets my first set is 8-9 seconds but I'm not even close to a full as I was in september/octomber :( . I am doing that program on all the skills I lost but with easier progressions but it doesn't seem to help me get them back and I hit multiple plateaus. Is it because I lack the motivation for bodyweight training I had 1-2 years ago, because I definitely was at my strongest point in the summers of 2012-2013 and loved training and now is more like a chore, or its just a bad period or my time in bodyweight training is finished :( ?

Here is the video:


whats wrong with me and how can i improve ?

 
RyanC

There are two issues with your problem(at least 2)

 

1) If you don't have motivation to train and have a burnt out mindset then how in the world are you going to make any progress? We train these skills not because they are easy but because they are hard, frustrating, and will never be obtained by 99.99% of the population of earth. My suggestion... Stop holding for time on the paralletes. If your training has stagnated you need to find a new way of doing it that gets you motivated. Change your mindset and your body will change how it responds to what you ask it to do.

 

2) Get out of the rut.

 

No one ever said that gymnastics training was about trying to get into Guinness for the worlds longest Cross, BL, Planche hold. I would put that part of your training last. Your strength in the straddled planche looks shaky at best. It started high and had a continuous decline to the floor indicating to me that you should probably be on a different step like advanced tuck planche. In the original article by Coach you needed to spend 60 whole seconds in that rock solid before moving on to the straddled version. Before you get to the static holds change up your routine.

 

-Lsit press Straddle planche(sPL) 2 seconds(fully extended)

 

-Lsit press sPL(adv tuck)

 

- Get on the rings and start training planche from the beginning

 

-HS lower to sPL, advaned tuck planche

 

- adv tuck planche pushups

 

-sPL negative pushups

 

Thats my 2 cents on the matter. Enjoy your training and if something is wrong take a break. If you really are bored with it then get foundation and go thru arch body holds until you look like the guy in the video! :blink: Foundation will shore up your issues 100% but the mental part is up to you. Knowing when to change up your routine is essential to overcoming plateaus and stagnation.

hourjack

I live in a poor country the nearest rings are 40km away and they will only allow me to use them if I train gymnastics but no one bothered training me since I am way past 4-6 years of age(im 17) and I dont train gymnastics I am from the street workout community. I'll try the exercises you recommended .

Alessandro Mainente

in my gymnastic course they recommend your way of "enter into the planche"..meaning to lift the legs in straddle position only after your have achieved it from the extension of the hips. your version is a common mistake for the people who do not have a good hips mobility. overcome that problem is not the best idea. so consider to use the foundation to get the best results.

hourjack

what do you both mean by saying Foundation ? can you explain what that is exactly ?

Romulo

Hourjack, Foundation is a series of courses that covers all the basics for Gymnastics Strength Training(Straddle planche, Manna, Front Lever, Side Lever, Single Leg Squat, Hollow Body Press and Rope Climbing) offered here at GB.

 

Just check the home page, it's right there.

Alessandro Mainente

Foundation is the most natural and progressive progression to learn basic gymnatic strength elements.