This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Has anyone tried using GTG for early F1 PEs?

Started by James Hall, February 12, 2014 · 8 Replies · 573 Views

Matt Baran-Mickle

I've been wondering the same thing, and would love to hear from anyone with GTG experience. I've been stuck right around week 9 of HBP PE2 for a while, and after I finish my deload this week will try out GTG for 3 weeks. I'll keep you posted!

James Hall

Thanks mate

RF_Guy

I am not sure if that will help you. GtG only worked for me if technique was the problem but never worked to increase strength or endurance . I would always end up overtrained. Out of exercises you list I only tried it with PPP (not as part of F1).

Jon Douglas

I have certainly improved PPP (it was before F series came out though). Was studying hard and got in the habit of loosening up from sitting at the computer by doing a few reps starting from bottom position. That helped me get the activation patterns right, and when a couple reps from there was easy, starting from the top for reps is just a case of not stopping :)

James Hall

Thanks for the info guys. I added a few light ABH sets to my warmup on non ABH days this week. At the very least I've found difference between mental and physical fatigue. The exercise seems less scary

Gray

Here's my 2 cents about GTG Method:

- no more than two excersises,

- no more than half of your max,

- if you're tired next day, the number of sets should be lowered.

- perfect technique, every single time,

If somebody is doing something else, he's not doing GTG! I've used GTG few times and it works very good.

-MR

I've used GTG to improve chin-ups in the past, and then used it to get to a 60 second stagged front lever (one leg straight, the other one bent so that the foot was touching the knee of the straight leg), and a 10 second advanced tuck lever in about 9 months, starting from scratch. 

 

For the front lever and planche, I basically did submaximal holds numerous times a day for a total of 60 seconds per day. It worked well. I was a student at the time and like Jon, would do the holds during short study breaks. I loved it; because the holds were submaximal, it didn't feel like I was working out, but I nevertheless got much much stronger within six months, and found that the strength translated well to chin-ups, climbing, and campus-boarding.

 

The only problem with this approach is that like Gray mentions, it's not really an option when looking for a complete strength program that focuses on more than two or three movements. The other issue is that when jumping to a harder variation, I sometimes had to do 60 separate 1 second holds throughout the day for a few days, so this approach wouldn't work for someone who didn't have access to a chin-up bar or any other necessary equipment for most of the day. I'm also not sure that this would work for straddle ups where active flexibility is more likely to be the rate limiting step.

Destiny

anyone else try this for any pe's? I think I'm gonna gtg for push ups and rows. aside from last week where I finally broke into week 9 for rcpe3 (which I failed again today), progress has been pretty slow. been stuck on it for months, a few weeks of experimentation shouldnt hurt