This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

PE5 how heavy?

Started by RF_Guy, February 9, 2014 · 15 Replies · 524 Views

RF_Guy

Hi, I am currently at week 10 of PE5 and using 3lb bar. Demo video of this exercise is featuring a wooden dowel but exercise name includes weighted bar. Any idea how heavy this bar should be for mastery?

Thanks!

P. S. I will be repeating weeks 9-12 as it does not feel even close to easy

Joshua Slocum

5lb is a good amount for mastery. 

DieKatze

5lbs sounds a little too easy for me. i´m pretty sure thee was another discussion regarding this PE and if i´m not mistaken the concensus was more in the neighbourhood of 15-20lbs.

 

for my free handstand personally this PE especially worked wonders. it realls helps me with controlling the handstand.

RF_Guy

Thanks!

I guess I should not be that lazy next time. Three are too many threads on PE5 already.

Alessandro Mainente

I prefer 7-8 kg.

RF_Guy

I tried 8 kg yesterday, my feet start lifting in the air :)

Milkman

Is it normal to use far less weight than on PE4?  I just moved on from PE4 where I was using 25 or 30 lbs.  I tried PE4 today for the first time.  I started at 25 lbs. (epic failure).  I was able to do 15 lbs.  Should I stay at that weight?

Jon Douglas

Yes, for now :)

Up it a little at a time, but feel free to move your training focus on if you are at full ROM with 15lb

Keilani Gutierrez
Milkman said:

Is it normal to use far less weight than on PE4?  I just moved on from PE4 where I was using 25 or 30 lbs.  I tried PE4 today for the first time.  I started at 25 lbs. (epic failure).  I was able to do 15 lbs.  Should I stay at that weight?

if you feel you can manage it. i don't see why not. 

ausswe

I've hit mastery with. 5 lb weight of this pe but I'm lacking in the Im so probably be stuck for another 2 micro cycles. Should I...

A) continue with 5x30 seconds but up the weight slightly each week (eg. 5x30-6lbs, 5x30-7lbs, 5x30-8lbs, 5x15-8lbs) or

B) start from week 9 with an increased weight then for the next mini cycle up the weight and start from week 9 again

(Eg. 4x24-7lbs 4x30-7 lbs 5x30-7lbs, 5x15-7lbs....4x24-9lbs etc...)

Jon Douglas

Option two imo, but don't be too cautious about upping the weight either :)

Keilani Gutierrez

I solicit moderation of the moderator double post. #forumdouchebaggeryettiquette :P

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

I solicit moderation of the moderator double post. #forumdouchebaggeryettiquette :P

Android phone.

Seems to happen quite often, doesn't it? :S

ausswe

Any reason for option number 2 instead of option 1?

Jon Douglas
ausswe said:

Any reason for option number 2 instead of option 1?

Personal preference on paper as a generalisation. Depending on how difficult you find where you are now, I'd probably more likely do the same as the dislocates and up the weight, attain full rom/reps and then up the weight again, session to session rather than week to week. Strive for increases, not plan for em. If you take four weeks on the same weight, no problem. If you up it 12 times in four weeks, no problem.

If this kind of micromanaging is not your cup of tea, I'd instead do option B as written with an aggressive increase on the weight I was currently using, with the aim to be doing full rom/reps with it in *all workouts* of the third week at the latest.

See my thought process? :)

ausswe

Right now I'm just trying to get to full rom on dislocates.. The only bar and weight I have where I train is 4 kilos. Anyway I like the idea of bumpi the weight up week to week.. Ill test it out I guess and see what feels best. Cheers man