This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My journey on F1

Started by Richard Sassoon, February 8, 2014 · 5 Replies · 255 Views

Richard Sassoon

Hei guys,

I just got F1/H1 and I'm in full gear to get the most out of it :)

My introduction is on the "Getting Started" Forum if anyone is interested.

 

I would like to use this space to log my progress and share some videos for form check, is that ok or is it better to have a specific topic for the form check?

 

I already did 2 H1 workouts:

week 11 HS1/PE2 and iM, but I was at home and there was no weighted bar. I used a shinai (from kendo) to perform the mobility. It seems I cannot get quite high enough to shoulder level and I start bending a bit forward. I think I should start again from week 9 and work on the mobility a bit more.

 

I was at the gym today and I tried PE2>im with a 10kg bar, which is the lightest there is and that was too much, really poor rom then. Maybe I have to buy some 2.5kg and 5kg plates to use with my shinai and try again.

 

Also today I tested all the 7 elements of F1 and it was brutal! Great workout and really humbling as many people have experienced before. Here is the summary:

 

FL/PE1: achieved mastery (though I should film it to be sure). will start PE2 at week 1

 

sPL/PE1: achieved mastery but not on the iM... one of the glutes doesn't stay on the floor at the end of the rotation.. Will start from week 9 and work on it

 

HBP/PE1: achieved mastery... the short breaks made the 4th and 5th sets quite tough... will start PE2 from week 9 and hope I manage it.

 

RC/PE1: got quite destroyed here... forgetting to hinge in some reps and not passing week 5 requirements.. starting from week 1

 

SL/PE1: this was tough... the ABH is indeed a nightmare as I have read in many places. I've done them before but not with the same intensity. have to start from week 1

 

MN/PE1: Got somehow to 5 x 15, but some of those reps were not so smooth and my lowwer back was not all the time touching the ground after each rep. Will try starting from week 9 and paying more attention to each rep. The windmills were really fun to do and I think they look ok (of course I have to film it to see better)

I already saw that MN/PE2 is a tough one, so I will continue with my pancake stretch that I have been doing for the last month and I will add some more hip flexor work, straddle lifts, and other things that could help when I get there.

 

SLS/PE1: Those were really frustrating.. I couldn't get a single decent rep... had to use my hands for a bit of support to get up almost every rep, and some I had to jump back to stabilize... I can do a few pistols, but deck squat was a killer... The skiers felt strange.. so I have to really focus on them. Starting on week 1 here

 

 

That was it. I will follow a 4 day schedule with 3 or 4 days for handstand work as well. Starting on monday things get more serious ;)

 

One thing I mentioned on my introduction is that I was doing some ring training, so I will get wednesday that I have free from F1 to work on some maintenance sets of support holds, german hangs, inverted hangs, false grip rows, pullups, dips. Nothing too demanding as my focus now is on F1. How does that sound? I know rest is important so therefore I will not push hard here.

 

Ok, that is enough for my first post here hehe

 

 

Matthew777

Hey Richard,

 

I'm just starting in on F1 as well.  You're right about the deck squats - I too can do a few pistols on each side, but for some reason it's tough to get to your feet with the deck squats.  

 

Keep us posted with your progress.  F1 is indeed humbling and eye-opening.

Guest

Welcome to the board. F1 is generally most difficult due to adults' lack of mobility and endurance. F2 switches to mainly a strength template, so keep your eye on mastering elements and the end should be here in no time!

Bipocni
Richard Sassoon said:

FL/PE1: achieved mastery (though I should film it to be sure). will start PE2 at week 1

I'd say you should test for mastery of PE2 before you decide which week to start at.

Richard Sassoon

Thanks for the support guys!

 

You are right Bipocni. I'm pretty sure I can get more bHB rocks than week 5 at least. Will test my max and see where I end up.

Richard Sassoon

I did manage to achieve mastery on FL/PE2, maybe I was rocking a bit more than in the video, but I kept the lower back on the ground and they were smooth I think. I will have to film it to be sure of the form, but I'm pretty sure I can start working on FL/PE3 next.

 

Swivel hips are a major problem, but I was reading some other posts on that and also looking for more material on internal rotation of the hips to help. I will start on those today and hope it will bring improvements soon :)