This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE1>iM

Started by 11BJJ, February 8, 2014 · 3 Replies · 155 Views

11BJJ

Aloha,

 

I'm currently having issue with this movement. (Left Arm)

When I'm on my way down and start to rotate my arm, my shoulder starts to make small popping sounds and struggles a bit to turn. I can still complete the full range of motion but it is not as smooth as it should be compared to my Right Arm. The next the it was pretty sore and tender, my right side is perfectly fine. My range of motion in my left shoulder is a bit of an issue as well but it is not terrible.

 

Many years ago I had injured it at a military school and has never really been the same since. I have had it it looked at by a few doctors (MRI, X-Ray) and all have said that its fine, it was probably my posture that was creating the issues. One Physical Therapist said I might have a slight rotator cuff tear (stage 1) and was prescribed some shoulder workouts to strengthen the area and roll my shoulder back a bit to fix my posture. 

 

I can still do this movement but rotating the arm for now is a no go. 

 

Should I avoid this movement?

Should I go back to strengthening the shoulder?

Is this normal and just part of the process to getting back shoulder mobility?

 

BTW I'm a 28yo Army Infantrymen with 11 years of service and my body has been abused a little bit due to the military, working out, and jiu jitsu.

 

Thanks in advanced!

MattProulx

I had this same thing in my right arm, and It was really creepy, no pain but real loud snapping when I rotated and some discomfort, I still do this iM for warmup and have no noises anymore, try various weights, (2.5,5,10,15lbs) and see if there is any difference. I am no expert but I think this iM can help fix shoulder mobility, between this and HBP iM2/3 I feel like a new person.

Bipocni

Just stay light and try to avoid any pain.  Only train it when it doesn't hurt anymore.  I know that military mindset of trying to push yourself as hard as you can, but this is prehab (or in your case rehab) and that's not really the point of the exercise.

 

Also, look into dislocates for general shoulder health.

11BJJ

Thanks for the advice, yesterday it was a little sore. Today I woke up and no soreness or discomfort.

Back to knocking out the workouts, not doing any weights yet when performing this movement. Next week I'll add 5 or 10 pounds and see what happens.