Try Kettlebell training , it is fun and you can make is as hard as you wish. Working for long term goals like 200 snatches in 10 min or 100 one hand Swings 48kg in 5 min will require very high level of conditioning. It does not seem to interfere much with F1 and takes very little time.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Adding Cardio & Endurance to F1
Started by Matthew777, February 6, 2014 · 33 Replies · 1,232 Views
ausswe said:I used to be strong at pull ups (easily do sets of15 from dead hang with control) but RC pe6 is still killing me. Tried some pull ups the other day and barely made it to 10. so while doing f1 i have become weaker in pulling than I was before foundation but my endurance is better in my abdominals at least.
I don't necessarily think that you've become weaker at pulling, I just think you've lost some of the efficiency that you had before. You should be able to get your old numbers pretty quick with practice.
RF_Guy said:Try Kettlebell training....
Do not try kettlebell training. 200 snatches is ridiculous.
OP, you may need some extra volume pulling. I stagnated on F1 with just one pulling exercise a workout, but I've recently added a second and it's been working like a charm.
RC/PE6 is pretty legendary. Don't knock it till you've tried it. But you can add extra pullups if you want. Just make sure you do them after foundation, when you're nice and warmed up. As long as they don't hurt your elbows, you should be fine.
Cool, I think for now I will add some pull-ups at the end of my workout - just to build back that endurance that I need for my audition. I'll leave the push ups alone for the time being though - HBP/PE2 should be enough volume work on push ups for the time being.
6 months ago I could do a solid 8 pull ups, so I'm hoping they'll come back reasonably quickly, and then I can just work on foundation while maintaining my pull-up numbers at 12-15 once I get there.
And RF_Guy - Thanks for the Kettlebell suggestion, I'm going to stick to running though - I have to take a beep test (read: running), so I think it's best to stick with specific preparation for that.
No problem.
Just to clarify 200 snatches is a long term goal, a test to pass, NOT something you should do in training. It was taken from Pavel's book BTW. But it is not that ridiculous, I think my current number is around 170-180 and I am 44 y. o. Young guys should be able to achieve better numbers.
But I was wondering what is the consensus about Kettlebell on this forum. I find very little interference with F1, and that is the only conditioning I am doing few times a week. Sorry for hijacking this thread.
Well done correctly it's more for training the hips so depending on how your f1 and h1 progress is going it might be fine. Just continue to monitor how you feel and perform and adjust accordingly.
I like kb's, but for strength they are inferior to foundation, and my hands/lower back were suffering enough. Times like this I wish I was one of those.crazy people who enjoy running
Brad Mifsud said:Well done correctly it's more for training the hips so depending on how your f1 and h1 progress is going it might be fine. Just continue to monitor how you feel and perform and adjust accordingly.
I agree with this. I have been continuing doing some swings as I feel the early stages of F1 that I am at is a bit lacking in hip dominant training. I've given up get ups and snatches though. Shoulders sure don't need any extra work.
KB snatches have always been about conditioning and not about strength. However, depending on your current level they may start off as strength.
Most people would use KB for conditioming, that is true. But if you know how to do it is possible to use KB for specific strength training. One of my friends very high level raw powerlifter is using 48 kg hard style Swings for explosiveness and strength. But he is using very specific technique. Conditioning is the last thing on his list of things to do.
With regards to lower back fatigue with proper technique glutes should be loaded much more. I rarely have sore back but glutes and sometimes hams getting tender.