Half pirouette

Started by Mats Trane, April 8, 2009 · 6 Replies · 2,742 Views

Mats Trane

Hi

I´m trying to learn Half pirouette on low P-bars.

What should I think of when I turn? Is it my center of mass that I shoud focus on turning? or should I focus on putting all my weight on one hand and the lead with the other?

All tips are welcome!

Blairbob

1/2 pirouette on PB is very similar to the 3 step version on floor. 1/4-1/4. This is how I teach the basic 1/2 pirouette. Kick to handstand, post/push on one arm, push toes high and corkscrew, weightshift onto the other arm, vice versa.

Of course using the kick or swing ( on PB ) and it's momentum is a bit of a cheat versus static HS, 1/4-1/4.

Practice both the kick into it and doing it from a static PB HS. Sometimes the kick gives too much momentum.

Coach Sommer

Focus on turning into the pirouette with the heels and continuing to squeeze your ears with your arms, rather than reaching across with the hands. Simply reaching for the other bar will result in a tendency for the shoulders to planche and the legs to drop outside of the bar during the pirouette.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mats Trane

ok, thanks.

Does the same (thinking of turning the heels) go for 1/2 pirouette on highbar or when doing lay-out back with 1/2 twist?

Blairbob

yeppo.

Coach Sommer

Yes, it is the same on high bar. For the back lay with a half, it is more effective to initiate the twist with the hips.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

phken4343

Would you mind if there's a more detailed explanation for leading with the heels on the pirouette?