Hamstrings pop during splits

Started by Junkyard, February 3, 2014 · 7 Replies · 35,118 Views

Junkyard

So it's not uncommon for my hamstrings to pop near it's insertion under my glutes as I stretch a little after waking up or after a long period of inactivity like sitting. Well today fully warmed up, getting into the bottom of my front split my hamstring popped similarly but louder and more violently. I immediately came out of my split.

 

There is some residual pain now 10-15 minutes later but it's not bad.

 

Thoughts? Should I be worried?

Cole Dano

Honestly, that doesn't sound good, you'll know tomorrow.

Junkyard
Cole Dano said:

Honestly, that doesn't sound good, you'll know tomorrow.

Like with most of my injuries. hah. At least it's not spinal this time. 

Cole Dano

I can't think of any circumstance where popping sounds at the insertion would be normal. I've not seen it before in any students. 

 

When it happens to you normally it doesn't cause pain?

Junkyard
Cole Dano said:

I can't think of any circumstance where popping sounds at the insertion would be normal. I've not seen it before in any students. 

 

When it happens to you normally it doesn't cause pain?

No pain normally. I can't say how long it's been going on, but I've noticed it since I started training splits around summer of last year. 

Cole Dano

Interesting, keep us informed how it's doing.

dmcmanam

Your muscle simply won't make a "pop" although the hip joint certainly could.  I would suggest more circular motions for the joint while stretching and changing the sequence you use to arrive at your front splits.  Only stretch aggressively if you have a good flexibility coach taking you through a supervised routine.

katlinchen

Hey! Poor you! I had the exact same thing 5 years ago, when I rushed into a side split without warming up. I tore a tendon or muscle at my ischial tuberosity. I got light massages, ultrasound etc, but it didn't help really. After about 3 months it healed. But I always felt pain and stiffness in my buttocks. Later I got severe sciatic pain, especially when sitting or driving a car and pike stretch was hell!

This was because the muscle built scar tissue and this scar clump compressed my sciatic nerve! After 5 years of different diagnosis I finally got a painful deep tissue massage and then it was fine again!

I would recommend to rest the leg, maybe use compression. After some weeks you can start with light massages and stretching. Then light hamstring exercises like glute bridges etc. After 3-6 months it should be completely gone. If you feel the sciatic nerve, try deep tissue massage with a foam roller, tennis ball or a professional!!! This hurts but it helps! And if you get an MRI - you won't see any scar tissue!

I wish you a speedy recovery!