This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What's your personal stretch routine besides F1?

Started by Badi, February 3, 2014 · 32 Replies · 1,579 Views

emilianop

This is scary.

I'm talking about the fact you watch Law and Order.

meras

front/middle splits, pike, pancake and bridge 2 sometimes 3 times a week after I workout. I am now trying out iM's from H2 which are great for both the pancake and the straddle.

Bro'
Daniel Burnham said:

On hard stretch days I do PNF/C&R stretches with 10 breath reps for each (major focus on splits) I do up to 3 sets.  Leaves me sore the next day.  Will sometimes get someone to push or perform ART on me.

 

Now that's a good indicator of what a hard stretching session is, which is good since so many people wondered what that looked like. Just to make sure when you say "10 breaths reps", that's contract-relax-breath-godeeper repeated 10 times?

Daniel Burnham
Bro said:

Now that's a good indicator of what a hard stretching session is, which is good since so many people wondered what that looked like. Just to make sure when you say "10 breaths reps", that's contract-relax-breath-godeeper repeated 10 times?

No I don't contract and release 10 times. I only contract maybe 2 times. The breathing occurs at the end range of motion and helps me relax into the stretch more. I used to count a minute but I like breaths more. I tend to not struggle as much and get better stretches. I have done as many as 30 breaths.

Joshua Slocum
Daniel Burnham said:

No I don't contract and release 10 times. I only contract maybe 2 times. The breathing occurs at the end range of motion and helps me relax into the stretch more. I used to count a minute but I like breaths more. I tend to not struggle as much and get better stretches. I have done as many as 30 breaths.

That's interesting. I find that it generally takes me 5-6 CR cycles to get a good stretch (especially in the big hip/leg muscles), but I'm only using 5 breaths. Maybe I'll try bumping up to 10. 

Daniel Burnham
Joshua Slocum said:

That's interesting. I find that it generally takes me 5-6 CR cycles to get a good stretch (especially in the big hip/leg muscles), but I'm only using 5 breaths. Maybe I'll try bumping up to 10.

I am naturally a bit more flexible than most. I find that I don't have to fight too much to get pnf and c&r to relax the muscle. I am also very aware of using my antagonist muscles to pull rather than just gravity. I've not really done much yoga but from what I know relaxing the mind follows to the muscles and is a big part of it. That's basically what I found to work the best. That's why I do breaths and often close my eyes while feeling the movement.

Richard Hamilton

I do an upper body and a lower body day. Both sessions I start with Kit's daily 5+2. Currently doing both of these sessions twice a week and most of the stretches I hold for 2-3mins. It takes at least a minute for me to be able to get into the stretch and I usually get about 5-6 C-R cycles. I also stretch the tight side twice. I'm usually sore for a couple of days after.

 

Lower Body:

Soleus

Gastroc

Low lunge

Piriformis

Weighted Pike

Lunging hamstring stretch

Shins

Quads

Hip Flexors

Seal/Cobra

Butterfly (weighted)

Standing straddle/pancake

 

Upper Body:

Posterior capsule stretch

Lying shoulder A with IR & ER

Lying shoulder T with IR & ER

Lying shoulder Y with IR & ER

Seated extension holding a dowel

IR & ER weighted and unweighted variations

Extended puppy pose

David Creekmore

When do you all program hard stretches?  (not limbering)

 

The body should be warm, so after workouts is a good time, but I struggle to get workout windows that long.

But if i stretch on rest days, I am sometimes sore for the workout.