This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE7 Single bar dip cues

Started by LateStarter@46, February 3, 2014 · 9 Replies · 473 Views

LateStarter@46

Please may I have advice on what is correct -

 

1. bar lightly touches and rolls over waist, stomach, and ribs to touch base of sternum? This gives a somewhat bumpy ride.

 

Or

 

2. hold the bar very slightly away so the body is suspended by the arms? This gives a smooth ride up and down (and a funny sensation of flying  :) ).

 

Thank you.

Ravn

I hollow slightly, so the sternum lowers directly to the bar. Now that you mention it, I hope that's correct.

EDM

This is one of the exercises where I'm struggling more to get a proper form.....will take this opportunity to post a video to see if twhe form is correct:

I'm always worried about leaning or curling too much, can't avoid the legs and the chest to go forward when I go down and touch the bar.

I haven t seen many video from the side, so it is hard for me to understand what is an acceptable level of curling/ leaning... hope this can help others with same problem with this element.

LateStarter@46

An update, I thought I had this one but when I went on to the under grip version I found it impossible not to lean forward on the descent. So I've gone back to getting myself more vertically aligned with PE7.

(EDM I can't see your video on this machine, so can't comment just yet)

EDM

Sorry, I've fixed the video and got rid of the pass....

However, getting more and more confused on this one!

Zach Armijo said:

The thing that is important that your are going straight down and up, with the body behind the bar to chest level. You are not leaning over the bar and then going down. you may find that your body will curl around the bar slightly while descending, and that is fine, but the key point is you are coming down BEHIND the bar and not on top of it.

Zach,

what would be the difference between coming down behind the bar or on top? if I look at my video, I would say I' m more on top than behind, what do you think?

I tried to do sets going more "behind" , but get to a point where I lose grip and fall. However, if done like this it would look like half of a strict bar muscle up, which seems a little bit hard for this stage of the progression, am I worng?

To make things even worst, I realized I curl even more in the undergrip bar dips....

:(

ausswe

I don't really understand the logic behind under grip single bar dip creating less lean. If anything it makes me think I'd want to move forward so I can maintain my grip on the bar otherwise my hand will roll under and I'd fall off.

IBGC

I think as long as you feel you are sliding past not leaning on the bar with your chest or stomach, anything else is secondary. In order to keep your balance you need to have your legs come under the bar and how far will depend on your proportions. I think I probably touch the bar less than in your video but to do it my legs are way past the bar to counterbalance me. As you say if you go too low or don't let your legs come forward enough you will just fall off backwards.

EDM

Thanks IBGC, that's helpful!

After some more practice I think now that the form is about right: I don't feel like I'm leaning and resting on the bar, but going down with a controlled tempo without touching it until I reach the sternum; less concerned about curling and leg position and feel a good tension in the chest while doing the exercise.

Now I can easily do 5x10, so moved to undergrip:

will still fine tune for one or two weeks more ( I don' like that I bend my head to look if I'm touching the bar only at the end of the ROM), although I can do 5x5 already.

IBGC

Looks OK as far as I can judge. I didn't have the right set-up for single bar dips so tried to do them on the very ends of some Dip bars with hands facing forward and tried to keep as vertical a straight body as I could but when I moved on to Korean dips I couldn't do one as the bar (which I now have) would get stuck at my glutes as I came up. So I've went back to single bar dips and I'm currently redoing them.

My point really is that if you are able to do the next progression ie. Korean dips then you'll know your bar dips are good enough and you're good to go on.

RF_Guy

I just started this exercise. After trying few different adjustments I feel that concentrating on moving elbows forward creates better body line and smoother movement.