This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

When to move on?

Started by Milkman, February 2, 2014 · 12 Replies · 428 Views

Milkman

I'm pretty sure that others are in this boat with me.  I am doing F1 and have finished all 6 levels on some exercises, but am at level 3 or so on others.  Do I just continue with the F1 program and keep repeating level 6 week for the exercises that I have nailed down while the others catch up?

 

I'm a little confused as to how to proceed given that my progress is not uniform across all exercises.

Keegan

That is completely normal. You will need to progress to F2 for those movements that you have mastered all of F1 for and simply continue to work on those that you have not. We all have different strengths and weaknesses and so our progress will not necessarily be uniform across all movements.

MattProulx
Keegan said:

That is completely normal. You will need to progress to F2 for those movements that you have mastered all of F1 for and simply continue to work on those that you have not. We all have different strengths and weaknesses and so our progress will not necessarily be uniform across all movements.

What he said,  I am doing SLS/SE3 in F2, and ABH/PE2 in F1.  Keeping my leg strength is important for me. Though since it is on topic, I was wondering how far apart one should let RC and HBP get? should these 2 elements be worked close together to prevent imbalance? 

Bipocni
MattProulx said:

I was wondering how far apart one should let RC and HBP get? should these 2 elements be worked close together to prevent imbalance? 

Nah, I think you'll be fine.

 

The program is somewhat unbalanced anyway, with more pushing than pulling work, which really only sorts itself out in F3/4.  As long as you have H1 to take care of your shoulders, I think you'll be okay...

Joshua Slocum
Bipocni said:

Nah, I think you'll be fine.

The program is somewhat unbalanced anyway, with more pushing than pulling work, which really only sorts itself out in F3/4.

How do you figure? FL is pulling dominant, RC is entirely pulling, and MN and SL work are mixed.

Milkman

So, the time to move to F2 is when you've completed all of the weeks for F1 in one of the exercises?

Keegan

Yes, kind of.

The time to move to F2 is when you have successfully demonstrated Mastery (week 11 in the programming cycle) for all of the strength and mobility exercises in a given movement in F1. For instance you have completed HBP PE's 1,2,3,4,5,&6 and all of their accompanying iM's with mastery form and mastery volume.

Joshua Slocum
Milkman said:

So, the time to move to F2 is when you've completed all of the weeks for F1 in one of the exercises?

You're thinking about F1-4 the wrong way. They are not separate courses. It's one long course split up into four installments. Each progression moves independently of the others. If you finish the final element in Foundation 1 for a given progression, then you move onto the next step in the progression, which happens to be contained in the second volume of the course, F2. Your other progressions stay exactly where they are. 

Bipocni
Joshua Slocum said:

How do you figure? FL is pulling dominant, RC is entirely pulling, and MN and SL work are mixed.

True, but there's no real pulling work in F1-2 for FL progressions.

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

True, but there's no real pulling work in F1-2 for FL progressions.

The second half of F2 FL progressions are all pulling.

Bipocni
Jon Douglas said:

The second half of F2 FL progressions are all pulling.

Oh undoubtedly.  But I've been plugging away at F1 for like, 8 months now.  I've found I make better progress with a higher volume of pulling work, so I'm sure once I get to that point my progress will be faster.  In the meantime, I've had to include some extra work to balance everything out.

James Hall
Bipocni said:

Oh undoubtedly.  But I've been plugging away at F1 for like, 8 months now.  I've found I make better progress with a higher volume of pulling work, so I'm sure once I get to that point my progress will be faster.  In the meantime, I've had to include some extra work to balance everything out.

Mate what extra pulling work are you doing?

Bipocni
James Hall said:

Mate what extra pulling work are you doing?

RC/PE6.  I figured I'd better get started on that one early, after seeing how many people are struggling with it!