This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progression and Swivel Hip questions

Started by Kelly Gage, February 2, 2014 · 2 Replies · 235 Views

Kelly Gage

I just finished my ego destroying first week of F1/H1 and have a couple of questions I didn't find answers to...

1.  I'm doing F1 four days a week and am thinking about increasing the reps/time/time on the second work out of the week to about 1/2 way to the next weeks level.  For example Week 1 Monday 3x3r (as rx'd), Week 1 Thursday 4x3r, Week 2 Monday 5x3r (as rx'd).  Is that a bad plan?

2.  My flexibility stinks all around, but for current progressions the worst is swivel hips.  I saw all the threads with recommended mobility and will work on those.  My question: is it acceptable to slow down the pace of the swivel hips exercise to get a little stretch with each rep?  Maybe 1 or 2 seconds at the end of each rep.  Or does that add to much rest time between the PE sets?

Thanks.

TANSTAAFL

1) I would wait a little while before messing with the rep/set schemes. That's not to say you can't, and there are a bunch of threads that talk about it. For example some people get stuck and have had luck by doing an increase of 1 rep per WO instead of the rx'd jump, but I would steer clear of adjusting for more volume/intensity. I would just do the microcycle as rx'd or skip to the next cycle. If you can't skip to the next cycle (i.e. start at wk 5) I would not mess with adding stuff.

 

2) Yes. I do these slowly a lot and with pausing much of the time. Just be aware you (and I) should be dedicating some extra time at another part of the day for this. That will give you as much time as you need without having to worry about the rest of your WO. Others have used a weight as well to help push down the offending leg a bit...start light please :).

Kelly Gage

Thanks for the tips.  I'm used to linear progression weight training (starting strength).  I just need to be patient… replying to the i'm reminded that I need to work on my mobility while I watch the second half of the super bowl...