This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE2 and tucking the hips

Started by Gehan Gonsalkorale, February 1, 2014 · 6 Replies · 189 Views

Gehan Gonsalkorale

Hi guys,

 

When doing the forearm plank, how do you tuck your hips exactly? Do you use your glutes or is it all in the back? I have a bit of a bad back from bad core/glute activation so I don't really know what the proper way to do it is

 

I have tried tensing my butt really hard but I don't know if this is right or if it even helps..?

 

Any advice would be great!

 

Thanks,

Gehan

Bipocni

posterior-pelvic-tilt1.jpg

 

It comes from both the glutes and the hip flexors.

Keegan
Bipocni said:

posterior-pelvic-tilt1.jpg

It comes from both the glutes and the hip flexors.

Glutes yes, but not the hip flexors, the Rectus Abdominus. The hip flexors flex the hip, you want hip extension (which the Glutes and hamstrings do) and lumbar spinal flexion (which the Rectus Abdominus does).

thecolin

I think the best place to develop and strengthen this feeling is with the FL elements.

 

The next time you do whatever FL step you're on (static hold, not rocking), try to tighten your abs and press your lower back into the ground. In the hollow body position on the ground, you can get great direct feedback from the sensation of your back really pressing down. In that position it should also be much easier to tense the glutes.

Alan Tseng

Proper cue should be thinking of rotating the hips until the lower back is flattened

Bipocni

This all comes up in H1 as well, with many progressions before and after it to help you get a good feel for it.

Keegan
thecolin said:

I think the best place to develop and strengthen this feeling is with the FL elements.

The next time you do whatever FL step you're on (static hold, not rocking), try to tighten your abs and press your lower back into the ground. In the hollow body position on the ground, you can get great direct feedback from the sensation of your back really pressing down. In that position it should also be much easier to tense the glutes.

Absolutely. Probably not a coincidence that hollow holds are the first exercise that one is exposed to in the Foundation series.

Personally though I never felt the Glutes firing during the BHBH, as the hips cannot be fully extended in that position, but instead only in the abdominals. With the straddle and full HBH though you absolutely feel the Glutes working.