This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A clarification on wrist push ups

Started by meras, February 1, 2014 · 5 Replies · 289 Views

meras

I have tested out my mastery for WP/PE1 and WP/PE2 without a problem. Today I have been trying out WP/PE3 without success. Every time I transition from  knuckle to wrist my arm wants to bend at the elbow. So basically I cannot put my wrist flat down on the ground while keeping my arm straight. Should I just work on it until I can do it with straight arms?

 

I just took a quick look at WP/PE4 and it seems that the athlete does not lay his wristr comletely flat on the ground.

 

 

Bipocni
meras said:

I just took a quick look at WP/PE4 and it seems that the athlete does not lay his wrist completely flat on the ground.

Hmm, it appears that you're correct.  I'm sure it was just an oversight on Coach's behalf.

 

You absolutely should strive to reach full wrist flexion with a straight arm.  This stretch can be difficult, but it mimics the position of the false grip, and is vitally important for high level rings strength.

 

If you're really having trouble, try going back to the previous progression and attempting the movement while keeping your fingers curled in a tight fist.  It should make the stretch a little more difficult, which will allow you to build up the required mobility for the next progression.

 

Alternatively, if you're used to performing this exercise with fists, simply open your fingers at first to begin with.

TANSTAAFL

Also this.

meras

TANSTAAFL that was a very informative video. Thanks!

 

After trying out Kit's routine I was able to successfully do WP/PE3. Like Kit at 0:26 in the video, I placed my wrists a little closer to each other where my middle fingers were almost touching. Would this be acceptable by GB standards? When Coach's athlete performs the element there is significant distance between his middle fingers when the wrists are down. My biggest issue with trying to replicate such a position is that the stretch becomes very intense and the angle between my palm, facing up, and my forearm would have to be less than 90 degrees if I were to support my body in a plank position on my wrists ( I hope that makes sense :) )

 

Ultimately, my question is this: does full wrist flexion mean that the angle between the forearm and the palm is 90* (where it looks like the capital letter L)? Or does the wrist bend even more (where it looks something like this: _\ )?

TANSTAAFL

Can't speak to the exact angle, but I would lean toward the capital L. It also sounds to me like you might be rushing things a bit...and this is an extra especial time not to do that :).

 

I'm in a similar spot, but I'm making steady progress. I've been sticking to WP/PE1 (sometimes with a little lean) until I can get my wrists flat on the wall without any pain. If I do a good WU I can now do this with a towel. I do them very slowly at least once a week as well (5-10s reps) which always feels great. I've also been sticking here due to an old wrist injury.

 

Just reviewed the demo video again, and he definitely doesn't go to L/back of wrists to floor. Some clarification from someone more in the know might be of help here as far as mastery goes.

meras

I'll go back to PE1 until I increase my wrist flexibility. There's really no reason to rush the wrist prep because these are exercises for life.