Hey guys,
I am sure that many of you have read this article at some point.
http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/publications/technique/1996/8/strength-training.html
In my opinion it is very interesting and informative. From what I can read, that article talk about how muscle size is important for gymnasts BUT maximum strength from minimum size is the most important training goal.
I also want to turn your attention to the bit where it says:
"The potential strength value measured in this way is termed the absolute strength. The highest strength value produced by voluntary contraction is the maximal strength of the athlete. An athlete's maximal strength will usually be lower than that athlete's absolute strength. The difference between the absolute strength and the maximal strength is termed the strength deficit (Bührle and Schmidtbleicher, 1981). This is because even well trained athletes cannot use all of the fibers in their muscles at once."
Now how on earth would I go about training this. Obviously I don't want to over do it on hypertrophy because that would ruin strength to weight ratio, but for me to realise your full strength potential for gymnastics I think you gotta increase muscle size a bit AND reduce the strength deficit.
So does this sound a good idea for gymnastics whether it be tumbling, planches or press handstands? Could you use bodyweight (around 70% of 1 rm) to train hypertrophy? Also how often would you train hypertrophy against strength for gymnastics? Like a week every month?
What is your opinion on this matter and the article itself?
Thankyou