This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My journey through F1 so far...

Started by SoyeBoy, February 1, 2014 · 24 Replies · 1,880 Views

SoyeBoy

Hi all,

 

Having posted many separate threads in this forum asking for advice on form, I thought that I would create a thread in which to post all of my videos and experiences with F1.

 

A bit of training history:

28 y/o with a background in soccer which I played until I tore my ACL in April 2012 (repaired in June 2012). As part of my rehab I stuck primarily with bodyweight exercises (whereas before it would have been heavily based on free-weights) which eventually led me to GB. I have since been convinced that GST is the way of training for me.

So, I jumped right in and bought F1 and begun working away as of 29/4/13 - so approximately 10 months from today.

 

Progress thus far has not been stellar, as you can tell from my current progressions in my sig. The programme has been humbling to say the least as I would have considered myself as a decently strong guy going into it.

I would put my lack of progress thus far down to a lack of intensity and a low level of starting flexibility. Also possibly relying solely on F1+H1 and not supplementing with any dedicated stretching.

Coach's indication that Foundation should be completed in 1-2 years was a real kick in the ass to me, and a clear indication that I've been spinning my wheels - so I continue on with renewed vigor.

 

What my schedule looks like now:

-F1 4 days per week

-H1 2 days per week

-Yoga 2-3 times per week

-1 hard stretching session and one shorter session per week working through Kit's Stretching and Flexibilty 15 week course. While this constitutes my hard stretching I'm still not getting that sore feeling afterwards, probably due to the fact that I am unfamiliar with a lot of the stretches. So I believe that I'm not getting the full effect here yet, but it will come.

-Kit's daily 5 as part of my limbering. Additionally, I will do daily limbering on my tightest areas.

 

So with all of that out of the way, prepare for some vids to be posted!

More to come...

 

SoyeBoy

First things first - tuck ups and stiff leg windmills mastery attempt:

 

 

My own comments are that it looks like I may be using too much momentum on the tuck ups? I'm not sure if my compression is good enough at the top of the rep also?

It is hard to see due to my full body not fitting into the frame, but my hands are touching the ground at the bottom of each rep - I cannot get my full arms on the ground due to lack of shoulder ROM, but I believe that this should be OK as this is not the focus of this PE?

 

I think the windmills are good - comparison to May of last year, they are greatly improved:

 

 

edna

You sound like you are in a very similar situation as I am in after nearly a year. 

 

I am envious of your tuck up compression, but the momentum does look too much (well compared to what I am aiming for). What's another 2-3 month cycle in the scheme of things?  :unsure:

 

I am booked for Kit's workshop in March. I think a lot of my frustration is ROM related.

Iguanus

Seems like you're using a lot of momentum on Mn PE1. Also, your there's some more ROM for compression (look at your back on top of movement. You're making something like a 30-45 degrees angle with the floor and the lower back. Mastery vídeo is more like 60-70 degrees).

 

iM has improved a lot. You're starting to reach backwards and that's almost mastery! Keep going and you should get there soon!

SoyeBoy

Good point regarding the angle between the floor and lower back - I never thought of making that comparison before. I re-attempted soon after watching my own video making a conscious effort to use less momentum:

 

 

It's funny how you constantly notice different things each time you make a small adjustment:

- I think I'm getting slightly better ROM here.

- I'm raising hands and legs at the same time, unlike the athlete who brings the arms up first. I think this cue could work for me to eliminate using momentum. Will try next time.

- My toes aren't pointed (get awful foot cramp sometimes!!!)

- By going through some other form checks I realise I should be keeping knees together. I maintain this sometimes, but if I lose balance on a rep or get tired my knees sometimes shoot apart.

 

Next to come will be my weakest exercise, and it may surprise you that it's not SL/PE1  :eek:

SoyeBoy

Ok, as mentioned in the previous post I'm going to address what I believe is my weakest element - SLS.

This is due to my extremely crappy ankle flexibility which obviously is a fundamental part of the squat. I have some bone-spurs on the front of the talus (non-painful) which limit dorsiflexion, but I believe that with dedicated stretching this can be remedied in time (I will post a topic in the Mobility forum in relation to this as information on the net as to how to remedy this is scarce).

 

I received some good tips on the deck squat in this post:

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/14450-deck-squat-and-skiers-form-check/?hl=%2Bdeck+%2Bsquat

 

My latest attempt:

 

 

I actually put SLS at the beginning of my F1 session as I go through a lot of ankle mobility/flexibility work beforehand to get the most out of this PE

 

My own observations:

- Skiers are still nowhere near mastery. I may have gone through them a bit quickly. I try to squeeze an extra bit out of them at the end, but it feels like I kind of hit a brick wall and cannot get any lower.

- My deck squats have improved and I think it may be close to the demo vid. Heels are a bit further away from the glutes than ideal. I actually forgot to focus on that cue during this set so will incorporate that next time. While this set may look clean-ish (apart from the failed rep midway through), I struggle through the higher rep ranges and am constantly reseting which is frustrating.

 

 

My stretching techniques for the ankle include putting on a weight vest + 2 heavy chains over my shoulder while hanging my heel off a step and performing some C-R phases for about 3-4 mins per ankle, stretching the tighter one twice. This is after some band distraction and calf stretching + lots of foam rolling (when I say foam rolling I actually mean barbell rolling haha). I plan on doing this every time I hit the gym.

SoyeBoy

Here is my attempt of the infamous arch body hold:

 

 

Feet are touching and arms are by the ears, but it appears the knees are bent and thoracic extension is lacking.

I think I need to focus on the following points (from Wheezer's excellent thread):

 

- as I curl back, retract scaps and open the shoulders

- tense glutes and hamstrings

- lock knees

 

Probably a lot more I should be working on, but I'll focus on those for now!

SoyeBoy

I believe that I am getting close to mastery of SPL/PE1 eventually, I just need a tiny bit more ROM on the swivel hips. I can get pretty close to the floor with both knees and in the video I take the glutes slightly off the floor to get all the way. I've made some adjustments to my body line for the scap PUs based on another form check and I think it's all OK. There's a bit of body sag, but the body is in a pretty straight line as a whole. If I tense my glutes and engage my core too much in this exercise my body pikes which is not ideal so I have not made this the focus of this PE.

 

 

In other news, I have confirmed that there are some bony reasons why my ankles are so inflexible (shifted tallus bone and bone spurs from a couple of decades playing soccer ) so SLS will take a bit longer to master, but I'm confident I'll get there eventually with some help and consistent work.

SoyeBoy

So I finally think that I'm making some tangible progress thanks to upping the intensity of my training in recent weeks. I attempted mastery on MN/PE1, FL/PE1 and sPL/PE1 and after watching back the videos I believe that I've earned the right to move on.

I also completed 14 x 5 of HBP/PE2 so I am very close to mastery here.

 

MN/PE1: Notwithstanding the very first rep (which I missed due to loss of balance) I think that all reps are performed in a controlled manner. Please ignore the iM as it is not visible in the video and I am already happy that I've mastered this.

 

 

 

FL/PE1 + >IM: Some grimacing on the last set, but I think I maintained the correct form. I believe Cat Cow is OK.

 

 

 

sPL/PE1 + >IM: Scap Push Ups done concentrating purely on the scap retraction/protraction. Before I had been a bit piked at the hips and also used the hips to help on the protraction portion of each rep. I think I've remedied that here. IM looks good to me.

 

 

 

This week was a big turnaround from last week where I failed a lot of my exercises - I'm not sure what changed this week. The only thing I can think of is that in the vids I performed the exercises in the afternoon after plenty of sleep whereas normally I can only train after a full day's work in the evening having already been awake for 13 hours.

 

If anyone doesn't agree with me on my perceived mastery please let me know!

SoyeBoy

Small update:

 

I've begun a new cycle incorporating MN/PE2 and sPL/PE2. I'm pleasantly surprised by my form for straddle ups which I thought I would struggle  with a lot more with - by no means perfect (started on Week 1) but my straddle appears to be OK. I have to keep my chest up a bit more and I wasn't sure if my fingers were supposed to touch the floor at the time (they are), however I'm happy with this as a starting point given how much trouble this one has been causing some people.

iM is not there yet, but I don't think mastery should take too long for me - will get a vid up soon!

 

 

sPL/PE2 tested a bit easier - I don't think I mastered it and could do with an extra cycle anyhow (if just to practice the iM which feels quite pleasant actually - despite the comment in the cues re cramping!), but  completed 5 x 60s and therefore am starting on week 9.

 

 

Excuse the cropped feet! Would prefer to perform this shirtless (probably would not go down well in the gym :facepalm: ) to gauge my scapular protraction, but I'm going to assume it's not there yet. iM went well I think, however it's a difficult one to video so I'm not going to claim mastery unless I'm sure.

SoyeBoy

More updates!

 

I had planned to test mastery on HBP/PE2, RC/PE1 and sPL/PE2 today. I had a bit of a niggle in my left shoulder so did a quick run through the movements to see if it would prevent me from performing my session safely. The shoulder experienced some mild discomfort on the push ups so I thought it best not to attempt mastery on this today given that, in order to pass, I would require close to 100% effort which may have caused injury in later sets. Dislocates were also a bit uncomfortable.

 

I incorporate some one-armed hanging into my warm up to loosen up my shoulders (also feels amazing - try it if you don't believe me!), and last time I decided to do a bit of twisting while doing the hanging. I must have been a bit overzealous and twisted too far on the left shoulder - didn't feel it much at the time, but it's the only thing I can think of that did it. I reduced the element to deload level and reduced the weight on the iM from 3kg to 2kg.

 

I will perform my deload next week and immediately attempt mastery on this element afterwards as I don't think that I need to wait untill week 11 and would like to move along asap.

 

So instead I attempted mastery on just the hinge row and forearm plank (along with the other two elements in the session at sub-mastery levelsof course):

 

Forearm Plank (iM not shown):

 

 

Sets 1 and 5 are shown. I think I'm there on this one - shoulder protraction felt good and was happy with the tucked pelvis.

 

 

Hinge Row (iM not shown):

 

 

I've been on this element since starting foundation, and have been frustrated with it as initially I would have assumed it would have been no problem to me. I think I should be able to progress through later progressions much faster as a result of the time spent on this one.

 

 

If anyone has any critique on the form shown, I'm all ears.

 

SLS/PE1 (+iM) is still the bane of my existence purely because of my locked up ankles and SL/PE1 may require a different approach as I am nowhere near mastery yet.

 

I will be signing up to the Stroud seminar soon aswell so am really excited to experience some hands on coaching in GST!

Alan Tseng

In my opinion, one arm hang is much much too advanced

SoyeBoy

Progress has been good in some elements and not so good in others;

 

HBP/PE2:

 

Mastery attempt is shown below - my body line has improved since my last recording of this element where I had previously had some piking at the hips.

 

 

sPL/PE3:

 

First set of mastery attempt shown. My recording was subsequently sabotaged and I missed out on the last 4 sets.

 

 

RC/PE2 + <iM:

 

I'm happy with the strength element here, but am unsure if my execution of the iM is correct.

 

 

So I've shown all of the elements where I've made some progress, now for one where no significant progress has been made, SL/PE1. I've reverted back to 4 x 24s on this element. I believe that my form is slightly better than in my previous vid as I'm now keeping my legs straight, but the angle that my shoulders are making is quite poor and nowhere near mastery standard. I'd be interested to hear if others in the community believe that I am possibly wasting my time working the element at this level?

Perhaps I should be sorting out my shoulders/thoracic extension before even working on the element?

 

 

 

Things to work on:

Stretching - I am finding it difficult trying to figure out how to stretch properly ie. I can't get the soreness that is an indicator of an effective stretching session and I am seeing only minimal/no progress in certain areas, despite implementing what I believe is the correct approach (PNF / C&R techniques). Obviously the stretching series will help, when it comes out, but I would ideally like to take the matter into my own hands before this.

SoyeBoy

I'm back for an update! Any comments on the vids would be most welcome  :)

 

Some form checks - firstly Straddle Up and iM.

My own comments:

Compression is obviously lacking. Also, I am not getting my torso/chest up high enough - seems like I'm leaning back a bit.

My toes seem a lot higher above my head than the demo vid. I think this is due to my straddle not being wide enough.

I have subsequently tried with a wider straddle resulting in a loss of compression. I do not know yet if this is due to a lack of passive or active flexibility, but I will find out...

 

I'm happy enough with the iM, except for the head position at the bottom of the rep which I have now fixed. Going to go from a 15kg bar to 17.5kg as I believe this type of stretch is known as a loaded progressive stretch (correct me if I'm wrong). Hence the need to increase the weight to achieve new ROM?

 

 

I'm wondering should I drop this down to a lower rep scheme (currently 4 x 9r) given that I'm not hitting the required ROM? Technically I should be dropping down to week 1 until I can achieve full ROM, but I don't think I will be working the element enough at this level? I feel that I have some extra passive ROM that I'm not actively achieving so possibly the higher volume will help.

 

Secondly, Pseudo Planche Push-Up.

I'm happy enough with this. This was on a deload week. Just completed 4 x 6r.

 

 

Finally, Arch Body Hold:

 

Progress is not great on this one, I'm constantly cycling weeks 1-4 with no great improvement in ROM. Different approach is required I think.

 

 

 

In other exciting news, I have signed up for the Stroud seminar in July! Really looking forward to this one and believe that I may be the only Irishman there  B-) To prepare I'm going to experiment with some higher order progressions to get familiar with the entire course content. I've been a bit tunnel-visioned in only working on my current progressions and have not done much playing around with the different elements.

Anyone else going? If anyone has been to previous seminars could you recommend anything else to do in preparation? Obviously bringing a hard work-ethic is a pre-requiste  :icon_twisted:

SoyeBoy

Skiers:

If you look closely at my form here you can see how little the knee tracks forward and how much it restricts depth / full ROM on this movement. Unfortunately, I don't foresee this as something that is going to be remedied in the short term (refer to earlier post) so I have begun experimenting with SLS/PE2 and twisting squats to see where I stand (literally).

I'm OK on twisting squats, but again ankle mobility is stopping full ROM (with the heel on the ground) for cossack squats, but I notice that the athlete lifts the heel off the ground also. Is it therefore possible to move past this element with the heel lifting?

 

In the vid I am trying to use a counter weight to get as deep as possible, but I hit an "obstruction " in the front of the ankle at the bottom - no stretch in calf or achilles, the knee just stops tracking forward.

 

Anyone any thoughts on how to progress from here?

 

federicoC

Did you look at Kit's material on ankle stretches? 

SoyeBoy

Hey Federico,

 

Yes I've got the S&F book and have been in touch with him personally. The issue is not a soft tissue one, but the actual bones in the ankle. Information is quite scarce as to how to remedy the condition without surgery (it may not even be possible....) - I have been stretching the ankle quite vigorously for months (also taking advice from a local podiatrist), but have not made any tangible progress. Given that bone takes a quite long time to replace in the body I could be spending quite a bit of time working on the issue without any guarantee that I will acquire new ROM.

This is why I am considering just moving on even though I can't hit the depth required for mastery on the skiers.

 

I am making decent progress on other areas however, except for SL/PE1, but I'm not alone in that!

Craig Downey

Sounds like an ankle impingement to me. Not a big deal. You just need to hit some more mobility stuff. Check out Kelly Starrett on youtube. 

SoyeBoy

Long time, no update, however I'm still working away at my foundation work.

Greetings to any fellow Stroud seminar attendees that might be watching. I learned loads at the seminar and also had a great time over the weekend, so thanks to Coach, Wes, and all the other great people that were there. Such a great atmosphere, especially when training amongst so many knowledgeable, like-minded people. Wes runs a great facility over there, and it's a shame there's nothing like it in Dublin (yet..).

 

A couple of video updates. I've already formed my opinions about them, but I'll reserve comment and leave it open to all of you good people:

 

Pseudo Planche Push-up (hands 44cm from wall):

 

 

Single Arm Plank:

 

 

 

Thanks guys!

federicoC

Welcome back!

dynamo

Re: Pseudo Planche Push-up (hands 44cm from wall)

 

How did you know to place your hands 44cm from the wall?

SoyeBoy

If you look closely at the video, you will see a tape measure beside my right hand. :mrgreen:

The idea here is to portray mastery at this level of lean before increasing the lean and starting over. I want to be consistent with how far I am leaning so as not to increase both intensity and volume concurrently. Ideally, I would like to master the single arm plank ASAP so that I can work on my Planche Lean and PPP at the same time.

 

And thank you Federico!

federicoC

It looks like your plan is feasible. You'll get there with the 1 arm plank, keep at it!

Adriano Augusto

PPP: Low more your hips, to the floor, no pike.

 

OneArmPlank: More protraction but your line looks good.

 

You're progressing ;) These two are difficult! 

SoyeBoy

Thanks guys.

 

Yes you confirmed my own thoughts Adriano. The single arm plank always leaves me breathing and sweating very heavily afterwards compared to the other Foundation elements that I'm working on, so I always leave it until last. I might experiment occasionally with doing it at the beginning of my workout and see if there is a difference in quality.