This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mobility targets for F7 skills

Started by Jonathan Horowitz, January 30, 2014 · 4 Replies · 172 Views

Jonathan Horowitz

I'm dialing in a mobility routine to follow my workout (and help progress the iM). Am I missing anything in particular? I'm not going to do all of these every day, I'm essentially going to make a weekly mobility playlist that I can pull from depending on what needs work.

 

(F7 skill - iM targets - additional mobility exercise targets)

 

FL  - gymnastic bridge -  hip flexors, psoas, thoracic spine

sPL  -  medial hip and glute - hip capsule and internal/external rotation, medial glute, straddle

SL  -  oblique  - thoracic spine, hip flexor, psoas

MN  -  pike  -  low back, hamstrings, straddle

HBP  -  shoulder girdle  -  shoulder, pec, tricep

RC  -  lats  -  lats, shoulder, delts

SLS  -  knee and hamstring  -  hamstring, knee, calf, ankle

 

I'm going to combine exercises from Kelly Starrett and stretches from Kit Laughlin and target 3 areas per day (e.g. on workout day one - hips, shoulders, and t-spine)

 

ChrisUK

While I'm not sure if you are missing anything there I would strongly suggest starting off stretching only once a week, twice a week max. If you're doing it properly it is a lot more effort than you realize, and stretching incorrectly is an easy way to screw something up. 

 

Just like with foundation, with stretching you need to gradually build up volume as well. 

LateStarter@46

As a background read you might find this as useful for further exploration as I did:

Jonathan Horowitz

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be first focusing primarily on mobility and getting the connective tissues "unstuck". I know a straddle wasn't built in a day and that it will be a long, slow process. 

LateStarter@46

Good luck. There's plenty of us with you on this journey! Let us know how you get on.