This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE3>iM Xiaopeng Backward form check

Started by Adriano Augusto, January 30, 2014 · 9 Replies · 413 Views

Adriano Augusto

Just to ensure that I've doing well the iM. This is my deload week so I'm playing with a bit of more weight. I usually go with 4kg on a regular basis, but today I tried with 6kg, and my goodness, every kg it feels harder.

 

Steel Shoulders is what I feel. Thanks Xiaopengs.

 

 

Thanks!

 

Niklas03

Adriano, your descent looks good, but check the video again. You are supposed to internally rotate during the first half. A good que would be to lead with the little finger. External rotation in front, internal behind the body. Same thing applies to the previous iM.

Joakim Anderson

Another way to put it is let the back of the hand lead through the whole ROM, while in PE2 iM the palm of the hand leads.

 

Otherwise it looks solid! How are the psuedo planche pushups coming along?

m6shifter

dumbbells with the handles sticking out kinda sucks also I use the flat ones which do not get in the way. That's just my preference though. Looks good to me. I am quite a ways away from that  PE.

thecolin

If you like, you can try playing with less body rotation. Think about using as little body rotation as possible while keeping moving the arm back as far as possible. As you rotate less, your shoulder will want to travel away from your body to compensate, which is what you want to fight.

 

It's not required for mastery, but it demonstrates better shoulder mobility, and you always seem up for a challenge. Think of it almost like a one arm dislocate.

OMGpumas

Elsewhere on this forum I've seen people specifically emphasize the importance of twisting the body... It seems to be considered an integral part of the exercise. 

thecolin
OMGpumas said:

Elsewhere on this forum I've seen people specifically emphasize the importance of twisting the body... It seems to be considered an integral part of the exercise. 

 

It's integral as far a copying and mastering the form as demonstrated. And it's a good starting point for a second and third iM.

 

If you watch his actual arm position relative to his body, his arm only moves about 30 degrees. From straight out to the side, to very slightly forward. The weight does a complete circle, but the actual shoulder rotation is very limited.

 

As you decrease body rotation, your shoulder needs to rotate much more to follow the same path. And this is a shoulder element, not a trunk rotation element. Rotation just facilitates the movement. Ideally you should rotate the body as little as possible while still moving the weight in a full circle close to your body and without leaning.

 

I'm not trying to 'improve' on the mobility element in any way. But since so many people seem stuck on 5x15 push-ups and 5x10 ppps. Why not take the time to improve your shoulder mobility while you're there?

howens

Seems to me if you minimize rotation, for the part of the movement in front, you isolate the anterior deltoid. It also seems that the rotation of torso encourages the traps to engage more strongly. Also I think it was coach said the rotation was part of the move. Anyway my point seems to be learning to properly engage the traps seems integral to f1 and h1. I could be way off though.

Adriano Augusto

I missed that Kiklas, thanks you.

 

I'll be quite a time with PPP so I've to improve more in this iM and this corrections are so helpful to do it right.

 

Joakim, I'm OK with PPP... FOUND THEM! ;D 

 

I would want to post an only thread to this because if I put it on my PPP thread, somebody that wants looking for info of this iM won't find anything. In this way is more practical to everyone.

 

Thanks to all guys. Really appreciate your advice.

thecolin
howens said:

Seems to me if you minimize rotation, for the part of the movement in front, you isolate the anterior deltoid. It also seems that the rotation of torso encourages the traps to engage more strongly.

 

 

This is actually the complete opposite of my experience, personally.

 

It seems to me that the most important part of trap activation is your arm position relative to your body, I don't feel that trunk rotation is a factor in trap activation.

 

I'm not an expert on shoulder mechanics, but if you look at the back half of the Xiaopeng backwards, with his body rotated backwards, he's doing a lateral shoulder raise. With his arm sticking straight out to the side relative to his upper body, he raises the weight straight up. I feel this kind of motion primarily in my shoulders.

 

I feel trap involvement when I try to move my pull arms behind my back, always relative to my body, regardless of how I'm rotated at the hips. Things like rows and the relevant H1 iM elements is where I feel strong trap activation. I can also feel it with dislocates, a wide grip I feel primarily in the shoulder, a more narrow grip starts to activate my traps and back.

 

Like I said, it feels like a one arm dislocate to me. The form demonstrated is a 'wide grip', with your arm sticking straight out to your side. What I'm talking about is more of a narrow grip, with your arm doing a wide circle around while staying close your your body and not drifting out to the side.

 

I think there was a picture somewhere of what looked like Coach showing somebody how to do this against a wall (the Miami seminar I believe?). Keeping your body perpendicular to a wall, imagine trying to move the weight in a complete circle without touching the wall. Obviously, the closer you are to the wall, the more difficult it becomes. To compensate, you can rotate your body slightly to avoid touching it with the weight.

 

But I think it's fairly clear that standing perpendicular, right next to a wall with no lean or rotation and moving the weight a full 360 degrees around would demonstrate some pretty fantastic shoulder mobility.

 

As I said, it's not needed, but that's how I'm working on improving. That's just my two cents.