This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Swivel Hips sPL/PE1>iM help

Started by Ryan Mowbray, January 29, 2014 · 6 Replies · 308 Views

Ryan Mowbray

I seem to be missing a lot of internal rotation RoM in both hips to the point where I can't properly perform the first mobility exercise in the sPL progression (Swivel Hips).  

 

Should I just keep on trying the swivel hips movement without being able to get anywhere near getting my knees to the floor while my glutes are on the ground or is there a better supplementary mobility exercise I should try help out my hip mobility?

SoyeBoy

You could consider doing some supplementary stretching of the piriformis.

 

MT Nordic

Definitely support what Soye Boy posted.  Don't try to stretch into internal rotation, rather stretch the piriformis and other external rotators and this will make the internal rotation easier. Careful not to strain the knee trying to stretch the hip.

Nash

Does stretching the piriformis help both knees touch the floor or only the outer leg?

MT Nordic

Actually, MORE the inner leg, meaning the leg going into internal rotation.

Iguanus

That vídeo is pure gold!