This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Practicing and Play versus Training

Started by bombadil, January 29, 2014 · 4 Replies · 309 Views

bombadil

This is my first post in H1, so Hi everyone.  

 

I am 17 weeks into H1.  (week 5 of my second progression). 

 

A few weeks ago, my circus minded trapezing wife persuaded me into taking a hand-balancing class, which I really enjoy and am very happy for taking.  I'm 3 weeks into an 8 week progression.  The goal of the class is to move right along with exposure that is well beyond the scope of H1... ultimately exposing the student to single arm work--in theory. 

 

So far, we've covered shoulder positioning and flexibility; we've done mobility drills and stretches for the shoulders and straddle; headstands, hollow body positioning, kicking up, wall holds; and we even began pressing variations last class.  

 

Now, this is obviously well beyond my abilities, strengths, and flexibility... I have 5 weeks left.  My question is:  after this course terminates, can I continue to play around with this stuff--mixing in holds beyond my progression in H1, practicing kicking up into a handstand, doing some press varieties...but doing so in a less intense way--not training?  This, perhaps, could be considered play, which I may do 1 or 2 times per week, maybe after my H1 training...  Will this be detrimental and stall my progress?  

 

Thanks! 

 

 

Coach Sommer

Absolutely.

 

It is always acceptable to play with more advanced variations; provided you follow one caveat.  The day's 'playing' must always occur after the day's assigned 'work' has been completed.  In effect, you must earn your right to play.  

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

bombadil

Excellent!  

RF_Guy

I was wondering the same thing. Awesome.

Cole Dano

Disciplined training and playful experimentation are two sides to the same coin of physical development. There's no conflict whatsoever.

 

But as Coach says, the there's no way around mastering the basics, don't let fun get in the way of work, it's an all too easy trap to fall into.