This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

week 8 f1 second workout - form check

Started by Bret Kennedy, January 29, 2014 · 5 Replies · 141 Views

Jennifer

It's  -10ËšC where I live.  It's very, very hard to watch your vids where you are outside in the sunshine in shorts.

 

I would say to slow down a bit on the scap shrugs.   Otherwise I think it looks good. 

Iguanus

^^ Second it

TANSTAAFL

Bent hollow looks ok. You can probably come down a little with your shoulders/bring the back a little closer to the ground.

 

Hinge rows look pretty good. Check the demo video again just for some clarification on where the hands/arms pull to. Also, as the set goes on your butt is getting further and further off the ground, which to me says you are using a lot of compensation muscles to help you up. Ideally you should not have your abs involved at all, but hey...we are only mortal :).

 

The scap shrugs actually look fine tempo-wise to me as far as I can see. The only thing that bothered me was the elbows slightly bending on some of the retractions.

 

As Lionel Ritchie says, "Keep on keeping on."  :facepalm:  <--that's to me for referencing Lionel, not your performance.

Stefano Baral

Brett,

 

the hinge row should be done with the elbows almost in line with the shoulders, check the video. I don't know if your form is accettable but for sure is different from the one showed in the course.

 

With respect to the scapular shrugs I also think that you move your arms and bend the elbows too much, they should be done without changing the initial angle of the arms and without bend the elbow, even the slightest, and with a pause at the top and at the bottom.

Probaly it would be easier for you to master that part practicing before the exercise with your knees on the ground.

Check the final part of the video below, from 1.04,  I think that the exercises shown are pure gold as preparation and to learn the scapular shrug, I always use them as a warm up.

The elbow one is very useful also and if you noticed, even the athlete in this video doesn't bend the elbows or varies the angle of the arms in the first scapular movement that is a scapular shrug with knees on the ground.

 

Bret Kennedy

after reviewing the training vid, i see a difference in my hinge rows in that my elbows are a little too low. The training video though looking closely at it is not so much a pulling up movement, as it is for a want of a better sentence, 'reverse pec dec' type movement.

 

He lifts up a little but then the retraction of the scapular and forward movement of the trunk is what bends at the hips, rather than a row. The elbows arms are also straight laterally, with a small bend in the elbows and are only a little below 90 Deg at the shoulder.

 

but yes I see the big difference. I will work on that next workout

 

thanks