This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Inside squat from the ground up

Started by dgolab, January 28, 2014 · 16 Replies · 420 Views

dgolab
A friend of mine run a simple test on me and a bunch of friends the other telling us to stand up from the ground without using our hands and without crossing our legs.

It was interesting because all the girls were able to do it in something that looked like extreme inside squat and none of the guys were able to go even inch above the ground.

He thinks it is due to a different build between men and women while I think it's due to flexibility.

What do you guys think and how can I build up the strength to do it to prove him wrong ;)?

dritar

Does getting up using a deck squat count :) ?

dgolab

no, you can't use any momentum

Bipocni

I can pistol up from the ground somehow.....

Bro'

You're right in that it's not exclusive to girls, I saw a little kid do that the other day. He was on the ground playing on his mom's phone in a position similar to what you described. When she told him they were going, he immediately got up from the position with no effort at all. Even added a spin to it.  :lol:

I don't know where you currently are mobility-wise, but in absolute terms you should be able to prove him wrong. I don't know if it's worth pursuing that amount of internal rotation for the legs when you are an adult, though.

As for alternative ways to get up with no hands and no momentum, unless he actually makes you start in an inside squat position, you should find a solution experimenting.

Keegan Y

Does it have to be an inside squat? There are a bunch of other ways to stand up from the ground without using the hands. Not that being able to do an inside squat from sitting on the ground wouldn't be useful or impressive.

dgolab
Well, up to this point I thought my leg strength and mobility were quite good. 

I can do pistols without problems althought my ankle stability in the right (weaker) leg needs some work (hope foundation fixes that - I* just started about 4 weeks ago).

I can almost touch the ground in the inside squat (1-2 cm above the ground) and I can do natural leg curls without using hands.

 

And about other ways to stand up - I can not think of any (well besides normal squat or pistol which I can't do). And to clarify - it has to be on your feet and witout using any momentum.

ausswe

Are you allowed to maneuver on to your knees and the. Onto your feet? Because that's really easy

dgolab

No knees allowed. Both of your feet and your butt on the ground.

I've tried some things today and I managed to do hawaiian squat from the ground and almost got the pistol on my left leg (it is certainly within reach if I train for it).

Pistol is easier because I can shift more of my weight forward while with two legged squat it looks impossible right now.

Also when having my feet together and knees out I was able to at least get my butt off the ground so that's also the possibility (I managed to stand up using some momentum).

 

Anyway I really want to get that inside squat and  I guess slowly lowering my inside squat should eventually get me there?

Guest

I can do it like this: post-8722-0-38564200-1390958283_thumb.pn

 

Does it count?

thanners

I don't understand, what's the starting position?

I would also stand up the way Jamez described above, unless there was another restriction to the test that I'm unaware of.

dgolab
Jamez said:

I can do it like this: attachicon.gifSquat.png

 

Does it count?

Yes, that's perfectly valid way to do it. I just can't start the movement from that position (and it seems to be the problem for most of the guys ). But I'm glad to hear you guys are able to do it, gives me more motivation :)

thanners

Ahh, yes. In that case, going back to the question in your original post:

He thinks it is due to a different build between men and women while I think it's due to flexibility.

What do you guys think and how can I build up the strength to do it to prove him wrong ;)?

I'd agree with you; it's a flexibility thing. It's essentially just a squat that's gotten deep enough that you can choose to place your bottom on the ground. Or to lift it up again.

Most of the stuff we're working in the Foundation SLS progressions (and possibly others) will help with that.

Ankle flexibility and resilience can help to get into a really deep squat, as with the knee conditioning, and ability to get good compression at the hip.

So work on it, and in time, prove your friend wrong. (c:

dgolab

Thanks. I think good hip compression might be the key in my case. I'll keep working!

emilianop

Can someone explain to me what's an inside squat? :blush:

emilianop

Ahahah! Gosh, I completely forgot that name :P