This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL PE2 question

Started by Mougli, January 27, 2014 · 4 Replies · 170 Views

Mougli

Hi guys. I read this forum for a while now and it feels sometimes almost like I know some of you and I think it is time you get to know a thing or two about me to ;)

 

I am from Slovenia (Europe). I'm 26 years old and I started with foundation about 5 months ago. So far I haven't been the most consistent with my training due to an injury of an elbow, which I can't get rid of for over a year and a half. So, I train a little while waiting for my injury to heal. So, for now I'm most pleased with my mobility progress (today I aaaaaalmost got my first side split and pancake  stretch :D )

 

I have a question, regarding form on sPL PE2. I visit gymnastics class once a week. I come before class and do my foundation training and afterwards I join the class for the "skill" work. Last week my coach saw me doing sPL2 and said I was doing it wrong. That I shouldn't push my chest out, that my back shouldn't be rounded. He said that I should have my back flat, with shoulder blades together. That this way both muscle groups (back and chest) participate in exercise. I told him this is a PE exercise for sPL and this is why I am pushing out and he still insisted that my back shouldn't be rounded. He is an elite atlethe and ex world champion on pommel horse, so I know he knows what he is talking about, but I also have no doubt about Coaches knowledge :) So, I was wondering if anybody could tell me, what should I say to him. I mean, how to explain/justify why this is right/better/more appropriate?

 

Tnx!

 

P.s.

Maybe I get lucky and even get a thought or two from coach :)

Coach Sommer

This may be an issue of semantics.  He is correct that you should not be pushing your chest out, however he is completely wrong in asking you to put your shoulder blades together.  What he may be referring to is that he feels you are over protracting and need to focus on less protraction.  This will still be protracted, but to a lesser degree and lead to the 'widening' feeling we have discussed previously.

 

In his defense, pommel horse champions are not generally known for their high levels of strength.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Duff

Hi!

 

Nice to see another Slovenian on here! Do you mind me asking where you train?

Mougli

Hi :)

 

I am from Ljubljana, but I drive to Å k. Loka once a week. The sports center is called Matrica. Where do you train?

Mougli
Coach Sommer said:

This may be an issue of semantics.  He is correct that you should not be pushing your chest out, however he is completely wrong in asking you to put your shoulder blades together.  What he may be referring to is that he feels you are over protracting and need to focus on less protraction.  This will still be protracted, but to a lesser degree and lead to the 'widening' feeling we have discussed previously.

 

In his defense, pommel horse champions are not generally known for their high levels of strength.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Thanks coach! I will post a picture of my form soon, just to be sure :)