This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Training with a hand injury

Started by Robmob, January 27, 2014 · 12 Replies · 223 Views

Robmob

Hey guys,

I just got out of the hospital after being diagnosed with tendinitis on my left hand, hence I wont be able to train for at least 2 weeks. What should I do during this time? I think I should review my Fl and Sl since im at Pe 6/2 respectively and maybe do some SLS altough Im on half be lunges already. Unfortunately all the other elements im on require to at least grip a bar so that will be a no go. Any tips for what I should do?

I was thinking of using this time to cut, since i can easily change my diet and even run if i need to. Do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks

Robert

Ravn

If you've been diagnosed with tendonitis, I think two weeks rest is a bit optimistic. Tendonitis takes a long time to heal, and you'd better give the injury the time it requires, or it WILL come back. Don't forget to start slowly, if you go straight back to where you left, it will probably also flare back up.

Joakim Anderson

What caused your tendinitis?

 

I was diagnosed with wrist tendinitis too about a year ago and was told to rest for one month and all would be well. I did and it didn't help anything. The reason I found out later was tight arm and shoulder muscles pulling on the wrist and causing pain and the only cure was to stretch and massage them.

 

I'm not saying your doctor is wrong, but in my case a period of rest and no recommended rehab/prehab was a waste of time and money.

Mats Trane
Joakim Anderson said:

What caused your tendinitis?

 

I was diagnosed with wrist tendinitis too about a year ago and was told to rest for one month and all would be well. I did and it didn't help anything. The reason I found out later was tight arm and shoulder muscles pulling on the wrist and causing pain and the only cure was to stretch and massage them.

 

I'm not saying your doctor is wrong, but in my case a period of rest and no recommended rehab/prehab was a waste of time and money.

Hi Joakim,

Out of curiosity, how did you find that out? By your self? The reason I'm asking is that I find it frustrating of who to go to and who to trust when one has a problem. Massage therapist, naprapath, chiropractor, doctor??

The place i have had the least success at when it comes to injuries is the doctor. The standard answer is always go home and rest and take these pills. Many times I find you have to play your own doctor.

Robmob

Thanks for the replies so far, in actual fact my problem isnt 100% tendinitis, its what the doctor wrote down since its easier to explain than the actual problem; since im still in growth (im 17) my bones are very fragile, so over time exerting too much force has been causing small fractures, the stupid thing is that I felt the pain associated with this but ignored it as I was/am hellbent on beating my goals (on the positive part I DID get my 100k bench two weeks ago). The current treatment is two weeks of rest and a sort of soft cast (bandages and a wool like substance) as well as some modified Ibuprofen. Today as fate may have it I have an appointment with a physiotherapist which i booked a while back (slipping discs), so lets see if he has an alternate solution.

After this entire paragraph I hope you can understand why I wrote tendinitis instead (altough i do have slight tendinitis). I appreciate all the input but im 100% certain its what the doctor said since I saw an X-Ray and the fractures were visible.

Could you please answer my original question of whether I should train the elements outlined above and maybe do some sls for leg strength. And if it would be worth it to cut during these two weeks.

Once again, thanks for all the quick replies and excuse the confusion.

Joakim Anderson

Mats,

 

I went to see a rolfer/rolfing therapist in Florida when I was there for the summer. A friend of the family who coaches pro tennis takes his players there whenever they have forearm and elbow trouble. First and second session he massaged my forearm extensor muscles, one of the most painful experiences in my life so far, but instantly there was more mobility without pain in the wrist. I was supposed to go for more sessions to work on the shoulder area but my vacation was over, so I've been doing that on my own mostly with stretching and I'm recovered.

 

I don't know if it was his rolfing education or the fact that he was experienced in working with athletes that made him understand my problem without hesitation, but he did the job. Whether you're good or not seems so much more based on personal experience than what education you have though...

 

I googled and saw that there are some rolfers in Stockholm. I don't know if they can help you but you could look into it.

 

Hope your shoulder gets fixed soon!

Joakim Anderson
Robmob said:

Could you please answer my original question of whether I should train the elements outlined above and maybe do some sls for leg strength. And if it would be worth it to cut during these two weeks.

 

If I were you I'd keep on with everything that doesn't involve the arms, which is quite a lot if you're doing F1.

Cole Dano

For hairline fractures rest is the only option.

 

Mats et al, I'd have to agree that a general practitioner isn't very helpful for tendonitis, bursitis etc. But as in the case of the OP, that doesn't mean it's always wise to avoid them, there is no other way to diagnose certain issues. I personally bypass the GP level, and will go to the relevant specialist right away. However, being an entroprenour I do as much research as I can before I hand them my money.

 

I'll google the list of specialists I have to choose from and see what people are saying. I'm also nursing a sudden wrist issue, and yesterday decided I'd better get it looked at to rule out any possible fracture. Having already tried the other alternatives to no avail. I'm glad I did check, because I had the choice between one guy who everyone said was a useless zombie, and another who has helped the national basketball team stay healthier than they ever have plus is actively involved with developing sports medicine in Finland. He's also at the same clinic my surgeon was, he was absolutely top notch. Guess who I went with?

 

Then I also think it's important to realise that one will need to gather a small collection of partitioners they trust for various issues. A good medical specialist who understands sports related issues, and good massage therapist perhaps physiotherapist etc, they all have their roles depending on where you are in the treatment. A GP is basically able to rule out that your arm has indeed not fallen off. From there most likely you'll kneed to move on, unless your arm has fallen off.

 

Very often the actual title they go by will not mean very much, especially at the therapy level. The important thing to realise is not all therapists are created equally, you will, unfortunately have to go through a few frogs to get to a real prince. Once you find a good one, hold on, tell your friends, post online by name so others can find them. 

LateStarter@46

I would drop the heavy weights, or if you have to - do under ~60% of your max - until your growth spurt is over. Perform pain-free Foundation exercises and check that you have more than adequate recovery periods/ sleep.

 

Tendinitis, hairline fractures, slipped discs ... sounds like too much is being asked of your body right now. Be kind to it!

 

Good luck with your recovery.

Mats Trane

Sorry Robmob for stealing your thread. Hope you got some useful info anyway,

 

Being injured is the worst! But as you´ve heard (but dont want to hear) a 100 times before it´s the body telling you something is wrong.

In my experinence:

Keep training but dont do things that hurt or even hurt a little.

Bloodflow, make sure you get alot of bloodflow in the area. 

Have you tried  the wrist/elbow routine that Cole wrote about here:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/5284-elbowwrist-prehab-routine/

If you have the possibility do freestyle (crawl) swimming twice a week (if its pain free of course)

 

 

Robmob
Mats Trane said:

Sorry Robmob for stealing your thread. Hope you got some useful info anyway,

 

Being injured is the worst! But as you´ve heard (but dont want to hear) a 100 times before it´s the body telling you something is wrong.

In my experinence:

Keep training but dont do things that hurt or even hurt a little.

Bloodflow, make sure you get alot of bloodflow in the area. 

Have you tried  the wrist/elbow routine that Cole wrote about here:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/5284-elbowwrist-prehab-routine/

If you have the possibility do freestyle (crawl) swimming twice a week (if its pain free of course)

Its cool dont worry, I dont mind as long as somebody gives me a reply.

Thanks for the advice. Ill do the routine once I can move my hand freely again. Unfortunately I cant swim due to time constraints, but id love to crosstrain.

 

Thanks

Robmob
LateStarter@46 said:

I would drop the heavy weights, or if you have to - do under ~60% of your max - until your growth spurt is over. Perform pain-free Foundation exercises and check that you have more than adequate recovery periods/ sleep.

 

Tendinitis, hairline fractures, slipped discs ... sounds like too much is being asked of your body right now. Be kind to it!

 

Good luck with your recovery.

Sounds like good advice, dont get me wrong but I probably wont follow it because Foundation is just as hard as heavy lifting (Handstand pushups/planche work is more taxing for me than benching 90 kilos).

 

If its not one thing its the other, i believe ive only completed 1 12 week cycle without interumptions, in over a year and a half.

 

Thanks

Robmob

So after 3 doctors I have the following diagnosis.

First and second doctor: Hairline fractures in hand and slight tendinitis.

Third doctor (specialist): No fracture no tendinitis

 

The problem is that sometimes doing Handstands/Support holds or any type of benching hurts slightly. Ive bought a wrist support which helps a lot and I continue to wonder wtf this is.

 

Thanks to everybody