Hi,
I'm brand new to Foundation One and find that I don't have the shoulder strength to pull myself into Hinge Row (PE1). Does anyone have any ideas to help me develop the strength without creating shoulder pain? I'd really appreciate your help.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by VIslander, January 27, 2014 · 8 Replies · 308 Views
Hi,
I'm brand new to Foundation One and find that I don't have the shoulder strength to pull myself into Hinge Row (PE1). Does anyone have any ideas to help me develop the strength without creating shoulder pain? I'd really appreciate your help.
Welcome! Maybe you could try doing first with your butt on the floor and if you still can't do it, you could do it with a partner instead, who would help you hinge with a trapeze grip for example. With time he/she could decrease the ammount of help.
Are you experimenting pain when pulling in this exercise? Do you have shoulder impingement, biceps tendonitis, etc? It shouldn't normally be lack of shoulder strength, since this is mostly a pulling element.
Please post Foundation materials in the relevant forums.
Definitely give more specifics so more knowledgeable people can give better advice...i.e. where in the shoulder, only one side, etc.
You can also raise the rings as high as need be, the higher you go, the easier it is.
Edit: Actually meant to move your feet back/more of a standing position, my mistake.
TANSTAAFL said:You can also raise the rings as high as need be, the higher you go, the easier it is.
I haven't had this experience. If my rings are too high, I can't get a proper hinge going.
Posting a video of a hinge-row attempt would help with identifying weaknesses or debugging the movement.
.
Agree with josh. A video would be best. With people who are unable to the exercise I generally find static holds at the top position help.
You could use another method of getting yourself pulled up and then hold for about 10 seconds.
Daniel Burnham said:... I generally find static holds at the top position help.
You could use another method of getting yourself pulled up and then hold for about 10 seconds.
Thanks for everyone's help. I think I'll start with this and see where this + the effect of the other related exercises takes me over time.
Many of the more advanced movements start with negative reps before moving onto positive reps and holds. Slow negatives tend to build muscle the fastest, so it's a great way to strengthen a weak area with more mass.