FKP is still PE1. No way I can bend it to full 90 degrees any time soon. Is it something typical?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
All Wrist PU are at SE4 except FKP
Started by RF_Guy, January 26, 2014 · 12 Replies · 446 Views
RF_Guy said:FKP is still PE1. No way I can bend it to full 90 degrees any time soon. Is it something typical?
guess so. other PE's have been steadily been getting better for me besides FKP. after a fun Free HS session yesterday at the beach, my forearms are sore but my right forearm is just fried from gripping the ground. maybe this has something to do with it(because my fingers only bend to around 50-60% of the way.
you might need to do some focused stretching on that area in addition to just the FKP element.
Have you shown any signs of improvement ?
I find myself in a similar position, but there is a noticeable improvement and I am hoping to move up to pe2 within the next couple of months.
I have been doing it for 6 months.
MT Nordic said:you might need to do some focused stretching on that area in addition to just the FKP element.
Thanks for quick replies!
Is there something recommended? 1st result in Google search: http://fingeryoga.com/backwards/index.php
Does that look good?
I am no sure about improvement. It seems to be less painful at least, or maybe it is just my imagination.
Check out kit's hand sequence. the first part is the wrist work you already know, but the 2nd half may help you.
It's easy. You've to understand that you've been with your "dead" hand all your life (and I'm talking about you, but is really everyone of us), and suddenly H1 come out and we began to "move" our hands and bending them in so differents ways.
In this technology-age that we living, hands have always the same patterns of movement. So much desk work, we always use hands the same way. It's unusual that our fingers can be bend all the way out of its normal ROM, and we do it with H1, but... we've to do it more!
I'm in the same boat on this, with PE1 since H1 came out, and since then I've been trying to move and bend my wrist/fingers all the time, and, for example with the wrist/fingers sequence of Kit's.
It's just a matter of how usually you use your fingers, and how many times a day/week you bend those. As same as many elements in F1/H1, isn't just enough with the "normal" schendule, we've to practice more. That's because I do back extensions everyday (hello SL/PE1), straddle active flexibility (MN/PE2) and fingers bend (FKP/PE1).
We've to think how immobile our body has been during all our life... 2 times a week of moving is not enough to counterfight that.
MT thanks, that is very helpful!
Adriano, since you have mentioned it. There was a post by Coach Sommer about stretching frequency and he mentioned that it should be done hard and just a couple of times a week. I read similar approach is thought by Ido Portal, I am not sure if his Ptogressive Load Stretching has any resemblance to GB style though. So my question is F1 stretching is what Coach Sommer was talking about? Can we benefit from doing a separate just stretching session and is there any resource how to do it. I heard about Liquid Steel™ but can't find it anywhere.
iM from Foundation series might be flexibility, but is more mobility aspect (that is flexibility and strenght). Kit Laughlin recommends 2 times a week hard stretching, same as Coach I think. Ido's Progressive Load Stretching is the same work with weights.
From what I read, a Stretch series is on the mind of Coach too. Yes, there is benefit of course. At the moment, Kit Laughlin is your best possible resource on this aspect, besides F1 mobility components and the incoming Movement series.
I am the same level with FKP also. Stretching and Flexibility (Kit) is what I am working through. This is recommended a lot in the forums.
I read a lot about 'hard stretching'. For me, I was never sure what this meant. One might think it means 5x60s or 5x15reps of whatever as a max. hold for example - really struggling like strength work.
My understanding of hard stretching from Kit's perspective to be: assisted, supported and isolated stretches where possible, stretching on the exhale, longer C-R contract/relax (PNF), longer holds, relaxing in the hold, mindfulness, only once or twice a week - depending on how you feel.
Kit's cautions on small muscles requiring less time also seem relevant. Frequent excursions into the ROM seem fine and I am doing this daily as well (specifically breath into it, without C-R), at my desk at work. It feels really nice for the hands and wrists (and neck, piniformis, back, toes etc etc).
Just some thoughts as someone going through this learning as well at the moment.
Have you tried to do FKP with your fingers wide apart?
It's easier than with all fingers touch each other.
I've also noticed that doing several FKP series during the whole day works very good.
Happy to report that MT link and Radek's suggestions really helped and I am at SE3 now! Thanks everyone!
Adriano Augusto said:
We've to think how immobile our body has been during all our life... 2 times a week of moving is not enough to counterfight that.
That is questioning the whole foundation series. Im doing foundation 4times/week (2times a week the same exercies) So far this has gotten me forward. But intersting point maybe for some exercies you need too train more then 2x each week.