This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Official movement standards?

Started by DrewLen, January 26, 2014 · 7 Replies · 332 Views

DrewLen

Coach,

 

As a newcomer to the program, first let me say thank you for building it.  It's an incredible resource.

 

My question is in regards to movement standards.  Each movement, both preparatory and specific, includes a helpful video demonstration and two bullet ponts describing the movement.  However, it's difficult to tell using only this information whether or not I am doing the movements up to the standards required to advance.  Other than taking/posting videos of myself doing every movement and relying on the kindness of strangers to critique, is there any more official standards with which I can evaluate the movement?

 

For example, with something as simple as MN/PE2>iM (Jefferson Curl), I am certain that I do not yet have the mobility necessary to pass this level (I can't even touch my toes).  So I will be working on this movement for quite some time before advancing, but how do I know when I have reached the standard?  If my only comparison is the competitive teenage gymnast in the video, I may never reach that standard given my age and body type, so how do I know when I am doing it satisfactorily?

 

Thanks again,

Drew

Keilani Gutierrez

take photos/video each workout and delete the filler and keep the best clips you can muster and put a date on them. i have a similar folder on my computer with my mobility progress. its exciting :) this weekend i saw a picture of my bridge and its improved since i last documented it.

you can do the same and also you can make an interactable thread with your form checks to have open to the forum, so people can give you feedback and also they can post theirs. youre doubts can be answered and your strengths are of benefit to others, so theres a few things you van do that can be very benefitial to you and also the community :)

Alan Tseng

To answer Jefferson Curl specifically, you'll need enough mobility to have entire palm touching floor.  That's the range of motion needed for Jefferson Curl's, so it may take a while.

DrewLen
Hmms said:

To answer Jefferson Curl specifically, you'll need enough mobility to have entire palm touching floor.  That's the range of motion needed for Jefferson Curl's, so it may take a while.

 

Hmms,

 

Thank you for the answer - that is exactly what I am looking for, but is there somewhere that lists all of these standards in one place?

 

Thanks,

Drew

Alan Tseng
DrewLen said:

Hmms,

 

Thank you for the answer - that is exactly what I am looking for, but is there somewhere that lists all of these standards in one place?

 

Thanks,

Drew

Unfortunately, the list is pretty much the video in the course itself.  In the Jefferson Curl for example, you'll see he goes low enough that the wrist is on the same level on his toes.  Flex the wrist, and that means his palm is exactly flat on the floor

 

If you're confused about how much mobility required for a particular exercise, then it's best to ask on the forums.  If you're confused about whether you're reaching the required mobility, then it's best to post a video for critique

MT Nordic

All that information is in the forum if you search for it.  It's very well discussed, especially for early elements.  Some later elements don't have much info, but feel free to start a topic for that element.  I'm not very savvy with posting videos, and it takes time, so I've never done it.  I do video myself however, as it is very demonstrative of form and technique.  Sometimes you think you're doing better than you really are.  Seeing other people's form checks, and then paying attention to the discussion around those points, has been helpful for me.

Joshua Slocum

The form demonstrated in the videos is the form required for progression. Note that the athletes in the videos are not necessarily performing the movements to the best of their abilities: they are performing them to the standard required for advancement in the course.

Iguanus

Try to copy the vídeo AND post vídeos / pics for critics and form checks.

 

If I remember correctly, Coach said the exercise showcase is intentionally lacking lots of details so that you can figure them out and make good use of this awesome community.

 

As KeilaniG said, a folder is highly motivating. Or, if you want to save on storage, you can just post the whole thing on youtube (as I'm currently doing) and, whenever you feel like form checking, create a topic.