Bruising and wrist pushups..is it ok to keep going?

Started by rival11, January 26, 2014 · 4 Replies · 3,928 Views

rival11

I really found my main weakness which is preventing me from finally obtaining straddle planche....my wrists aren't strong enough - they're definitely not weak, just not strong enough.  I never caught this because I have strong hands and this honestly kind of masks your wrist weakness a bit.

 

My main question is that I am now able to pop up to my fists while doing the pushups but I notice the back of my hands bruise quite a bit....I have finally bought a mat that seems to be just the right thickness so hopefully this will stop the constant bruising.

 

But it honestly made me want to ask.....A real gymnast gets beat up all the time during training and I know they bruise and hurt but they don't let every little minor thing bother them so, how far can you push this?  The bruises on the back of my wrists don't hurt at all but would I be doing damage if I just kept doing them without letting them healing?  Should I even care?

Cody

I've found that those wrist push ups don't even benefit planche work.

rival11

It may be because your wrists are already strong enough.

Rayne-William

The bruising shouldn't happen.

MT Nordic

I find my planche work is definitely benefited from wrist strengthening and mobility.  I've taken to doing the H1 wrist work before my planche work. I'd highly recommend H1 for this purpose alone, though of course it's very good for handstand as well.  You definitely shouldn't be bruising though.  hopefully the thicker mat will help.  If it doesn't i'd worry whether you're doing them wrong, or whether you have a bleeding disorder.  Do you bruise easily in general?  a lot of people have minor clotting disorders, like von willebrand's disease, and don't know it.