Straddle splits and position of Pelvis

Started by Micawberian, January 25, 2014 · 12 Replies · 8,366 Views

Micawberian

Hello! I will attempt to make this a short question!

Straddle splits: Do we anterior tilt or posterior tilt the pelvis?

Anterior tilt/extend back affords me a lot more ROM in the splits, about 5 inches from the floor, but I'm not sure if its the correct thing to do.

Bipocni

Well, I don't have the splits, but I would say do what you gotta do.

 

At this point anything that helps....

Micawberian

Aha, but see...

When handbalancers straddle their legs, it seems like they PPT. And if you perform a pankcake split, you are PPT. But, I know Kit Laughlin has specifically talked something about APT in splits in his book but I just can't for the life of me find the page number!

I suppose i will keep doing what I gots to do until somebody could really clarify this. Maybe we can choose whichever we like...its like that girl in the taco commercial, "why don't we have both?"

Keilani Gutierrez

hmmm...wouldnt you use APT to squeek those little bits you need for extra mobility and use PPT for active application and development of mobility? straddle L's, straddle presses like you mentioned. maybe also a weighted pike hang(cause to mobilize the glutes/hamstrings the most you'd be using PPT to contracting agains the floor with C&R?) like in the youtube video in GB's channel.

what do you think? I've probably raised more doubts due to much of my personal speculation.

Micawberian

Yes lol I think I have more doubts now! I do indeed PPT when developing the active component, as is usually the case required in foundation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Keilani, but you can perform all 3 splits, correct? Do you personally APT during your straddle split?

Keilani Gutierrez

oh heavens, no. I have a picture of my pike and (attempted) pancake somewhere on my computer, ill post it up from there. my front split is the deepest it's been in my life but it deserves no real honerable mention because i can still work on releasing my psoas and quads for miles. my side split is laughable(probably a ft off the ground? a little less at most?)

I do my best in keeping my trunk as straight as possible to really give my Psoas hell. so to do that safely for my spine(to not aggravate my APT) I absolutely have to PPT. i do this instinctually, so i dont know if its good but it's what i do anyway if i stand straight and lift one leg infront of me to 90degrees with a straight back, is the same position you'd want to initiate a HLL, which would be with PPT.

thoughts?

Micawberian

Oh, haha! Must have been someone else's video, perhaps, of the 3 splits.

Hmm, when it  comes to front split, I do instinctually PPT and keep my spine straight. As is with practically every other body movement..except straddle splits! With straddle split, PPT gives me a real sharp twinge in what I think is my TFL muscle.

Took a quick shot of me trying to PPT in straddle. My ROM has been drastically reduced, looks like a foot and half from the ground or more. The TFL is in pain. Not sure if its just a really powerful contraction there or perhaps a stretch in some other muscle. EDIT: Nevermind...for some reason the forum won't let me post my picture, not sure what the correct file extension should be...
 

Anyways, to me, in some ways, I wonder if doing APT in splits is like arching your back in planche. Trying to achieve a skill but at the cost of correct technique. I'm just not too sure. Thanks for your help so far, Keilani.

dmcmanam

Of course you should train both!  You want options and mobility when you are in a middle split.  When you are in a pancake with your chest on the floor use anterior.  In my current routine we always start with posterior and then stretch anterior next.

Joshua Slocum

They are different poses. Ideally one can perform both.

Nata Raj

check this link :

http://www.stadion.com/difficulties-with-doing-a-side-split/

 

 

--> either feet pointing forward and hip tilted forward

--> or feet pointing upward , neutral hip tilt

 

here is , why :

 

"The forward tilt of the pelvis (hip flexion) realigns the hip joint so its ligaments relax, the neck of the femur does not jam the cartilage at the upper edge of the socket, and the greater trochanter fits into a space behind the hip socket."

Micawberian

Ohh, wow guys thanks so much for the clarifications. Likes all around! WIll start training both versions.

Edit: Why am I allowed to like myself? That's a pretty strange feature...

Keilani Gutierrez

the God of webmasters allows it.

TANSTAAFL
Biren P. said:

Edit: Why am I allowed to like myself? That's a pretty strange feature...

...I guess it's strange if you're a really self-loathing kinda guy.