I'm about to take a 6 hour plane flight
,
After listening to coach/robb wolf podcast which I enjoyed very much ! I was looking for any gymnastic,strength,diet,stretching related
episode /author
Recommendations ?
Started by Nautique163, January 25, 2014 · 29 Replies · 7,162 Views
I'm about to take a 6 hour plane flight
,
After listening to coach/robb wolf podcast which I enjoyed very much ! I was looking for any gymnastic,strength,diet,stretching related
episode /author
Recommendations ?
Along these lines; please enter here specific questions or topics that you would like addressed in future podcasts. The response to the podcast has been strong and we are considering more in the future.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Look through robb wolfs podcasts. He has some very good topics. I also recommend the mwods if you can download them before hand. Chris kresser also has a few and one with robb wolf on diet.
What I would like you hear more about in the podcast is straight vs bent arm, handstand form and it's importance, and a specific one on mobility of different joints ( hips shoulder Etc...)
I would like to hear something about the right mindest and motivation. This actual podcast already gave some infos about the topic, but I would like to hear something with more details. When to stop a set, when you just have to keep going or if someone should workout even if he still has doms.
Coach,
In future podcasts it would be interesting to hear stories/anecdotes of adult success stories. Perhaps even guest appearances from people such as Dillon or Orench or seminar attendees who started when they were a bit older but have had great success with GB methods.
Thanks,
Neil
Thanks Daniel I'll check them out ,
Coach I would like to just hear you with other top level coaches or trainers organically talking about anything . You and Pavel would be epic!
I'd like to hear about how you got interested in working with adults. As you said in the previous podcasts, most coaches at your level seem to be interested only in working with elite athletes.
I'm more interested in hearing about certain elements that we find difficult and how you would personally overcome it.
Well, I was tempted to just post "Why ABH? Whyyyy!?" but that would be purile so...
I'd actually be interested in hearing your story. How you got interested in gymnastics, why you decided to become a coach ect...
Also, how you came to develop the logical training system that eventually became GB, e.g. when did it occur to you that strength should be the basis of the program when this fact seemed to have escaped so many other coaches, etc.?
Thanks,
Neil
By the way, what does it mean to be a jr national team coach? does that mean preparing team USA for Olympics? Going through the history of your work as national team coach would be interesting
Hmms said:By the way, what does it mean to be a jr national team coach? does that mean preparing team USA for Olympics? Going through the history of your work as national team coach would be interesting
Pretty sure it means he prepares a team for competition on a national scale, whereas the olympics would be on an international scale...
Jr National Team Coach meant I prepared athletes to compete for the US Jr National Team. Members of the US Jr National Team represent the USA internationally and are currently the best jr team in the world.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
The podcast was excellent Coach. As I haven't been to a seminar yet, it was great to hear you as the only interaction is currently reading what you write.
On future podcasts I would like to hear more on anything related to adult gymnastics and your methods.
Coach Sommer said:Jr National Team Coach meant I prepared athletes to compete for the US Jr National Team. Members of the US Jr National Team represent the USA internationally and are currently the best jr team in the world.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
So that means international competition where it's like USA vs China, USA vs Russia etc. ages 11-17?
The US Jr National Team represents the USA in competitions with other Jr National Teams from around the world. For well over a decade I was one of a group of coaches who's job was exactly that.
Nor is this a job that you are assigned to. There is no nepotism, or favoritism, nor can someone smooth talk their way into it.
It is completely results based. You earn it. You prove you belong by placing athletes on the US Jr National Team (the best Jr Team in the world); year in and year out. If you blow it; you're out.
The demands are incredibly high; the years of never ending meticulous attention to detail coupled with stupendous levels of stress. However there is also nothing like competing at this level.
It is impossible to describe the heady feeling of knowing that you have just defeated the world's finest athletes and coaches in head to head competition. There is truly no other feeling quite like it. ![]()
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Coach, where do you see this explosion in GST going in the next 5yrs and maybe how it's evolved (through your eyes) in the past 5-10? i'd love to know on how i can better tune myself to really blast through the GB curriculum like you have experimented to be true. i draw inspiration also from knowing how you first got into gymnastics(family, tv, friend, coach.) because I remember how amazingly fulfilling discovering kung fu and riding bmx bikes. i'd love to hear memories well spent durig your college years and what brought you to create GB. how did that start? (that's what i'd like to hear in some podcasts, aside from obviously learning points in perspective, skill training, recovery, experiments, mobility, etc.)
Id like to hear about how you deal with factors that are out of your control; diets, ideal recovery schedules, social lives etc and how you allow for this, run damage control if necessary, etc.
Although it might not be pleasant to think back over, Id also like to hear about the athletes you've built who are the 'silver medallists'; whether they hit their ceiling, plateau and want to quit or are simply unlucky with injury or other circumstance. Most particularly, if they have everything right but happen to come along at the same time as a bright star who overshadows them. How do these things hit them day to day, what do you expect of them when they hit walls and get frustrated, and what are the most common reasons you would lose a competitor?
We don't actively compete with each other here, as a general thing, but its impossible not to compare yourself a little as you go; not being one of those bright stars Id be interested in hearing how the almost as good fare in that kind of day after day pressure situation when that one guy.can run rings around them
Coach Sommer said:Along these lines; please enter here specific questions or topics that you would like addressed in future podcasts. The response to the podcast has been strong and we are considering more in the future.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
I thought the podcast was fantastic - it was extremely motivating to hear what people can expect should they follow your program over the long term. I've been following Foundation for just under a year and felt that it was just what I needed to hear.
In terms of what I would like addressed in the future... Given the major mobility bottleneck many of us are experiencing in HS, MN, and possibly ABH work, it would be interesting to hear an official approach to getting over these issues, otherwise I see many of us advancing to F2 and F3 in some exercises while still being stuck at PE1 or PE2 in HS, MN, and ABH for a long time.
Coach Sommer said:The US Jr National Team represents the USA in competitions with other Jr National Teams from around the world. For well over a decade I was one of a group of coaches who's job was exactly that.
Nor is this a job that you are assigned to. There is no nepotism, or favoritism, nor can someone smooth talk their way into it.
It is completely results based. You earn it. You prove you belong by placing athletes on the US Jr National Team (the best Jr Team in the world); year in and year out. If you blow it; you're out.
The demands are incredibly high; the years of never ending meticulous attention to detail coupled with stupendous levels of stress. However there is also nothing like competing at this level.
It is impossible to describe the heady feeling of knowing that you have just defeated the world's finest athletes and coaches in head to head competition. There is truly no other feeling quite like it.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
When's this year's competition for US jr National Team?
By the way, I remember it being said that your style of training athletes differs a lot compared to other coaches. Any of your colleagues in US jr national team or in other rival countries that's slowly going into your GB style?
Coach, any topic that you speak more than Robb! ![]()
The interview was great, but I wished Robb had made the best out of the time and focused the interview on what you had to say, instead of giving so many personal examples of himself and even with a weak comparison to a barbell exercise, totally out of context. It would be better to allow the guest to be the main role.
Actually I would even prefer you made it lecture/speech style, just by yourself (maybe answering questions sent by email or other ways).
Romulo said:Actually I would even prefer you made it lecture/speech style, just by yourself (maybe answering questions sent by email or other ways).
If time allowed this would be fantastic.
I'd like to hear more about the great picture, how all of the courses fit together, what is the end goal?
You know, a lot of people have said that the podcast was like beeing at a seminar and also a lot of people have said after a seminar that they're so motivated because they saw how all the courses are connected and how all works together.
I'd like to hear from one of your athletes , what they got stuck on or had trouble with and how they over came it , from there perspective .