This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ach hold - Feet together but not legs?

Started by The Hansenator, January 25, 2014 · 6 Replies · 195 Views

The Hansenator

Hi,

 

I can keep my feet together during arch holds although the range of motion is quite small but I noticed that my thighs come apart even with my feet together, heels and toes. Is this common?

 

I figured that indicates tightness in something. Does anyone know what specifically that might be and is there a stretch or something which might help?

 

Thanks.

Alan Tseng

Most of the times its fine

ausswe

Make sure both toes and heels are touching each other and your knees are locked out. If you do those things your thighs should touch or at least be close to touching.

Bipocni

Try this: standing up, with your feet and knees together, contract your glutes as hard as you can.  Notice how your knees will try to come apart?

 

Glutes are one of the major muscles involved in externally rotating the hips.  This is my theory why ABH is so hard: We're basically trying to perform two competing functions simultaneously.

 

I can actually hold ABH for maybe 10 seconds with my knees together, which I consider perfect form.  But there's no way I'd ever be able to do a mastery test that way...

ausswe

My thighs are too big to have knees together :( how ever close you can get your legs while standing or laying down that should be what you strive for when doing abh IMO

IcedDante

If you read the abh novel thread its in there, along with a lot of good advice

Keegan Y

Whether the knees touch will depend on individual structure. As long as the feet (both heels and toes) are together and legs are locked straight (almost locked is still bent) you are good.

Coach has addressed this in the huge ABH thread. I second the suggestion to read through that and the stickied thread at the top of the page.