Easy way to instantly add inches to your stretch

Started by wheezer, January 24, 2014 · 14 Replies · 4,117 Views

wheezer

Quick tip to get more out of stretching...

 

Put a massive smile on your face.

 

I find this simple action calms my nervous system, allows the stretched muscles to relax, and decreases the pain experienced dramatically.

 

Try it out on your next stretch...

El Chino

Lol nice one Wheezer!

 

I was just in the middle of stretching my hamstrings while reading this on my phone and put an idiotic grin on my face. Lo and behold, another inch to the stretch! Thanks mate  :)

Coach Sommer

Perhaps this is why my athletes are so strong.  I often smile during conditioning.   :icon_twisted:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Keilani Gutierrez
Coach Sommer said:

Perhaps this is why my athletes are so strong. I often smile during conditioning. :icon_twisted:

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

hahahahah you're such a trip, Coach ^_^
Micawberian
ewethestuff said:

lol, I used to do this while running. Seemed to freak everyone out though :-)

Somehow, I ended up watching a bit of a 30 minute burn fat, get abs workout video on Youtube (for reasons I am still trying to figure out why I did that), and all the women wouldn't stop smiling the entire workout. It really, truly scared the hell out me.

wheezer
Coach Sommer said:

Perhaps this is why my athletes are so strong.  I often smile during conditioning.   :icon_twisted:

Strangely, Coach, the idea of you watching me stretch with a smile does not relax my nervous system and muscles...

Duff

I must admit, you had me worried there with easy and instantly for a second....:) But it's absolutely true. Been doing it during ABH for a while.

LateStarter@46

...then it's easy to graduate to laughing for the rocks :-)

Bipocni
LateStarter@46 said:

...then it's easy to graduate to laughing for the rocks :-)

Okay that would freak me out.

Bipocni
ewethestuff said:

lol, I used to do this while running. Seemed to freak everyone out though :-)

I dunno, everyone always looks like they're in such pain while running.  I think it would be a nice change to see someone smiling for once...

edna

This is awesome. 

 

Reminds me of this guy.

Matteo.Za
Bipocni said:

I dunno, everyone always looks like they're in such pain while running.  I think it would be a nice change to see someone smiling for once...

In pain until you cross them: 10 meters from you they start having a serious face, looking forward and keeping the breath.

wheezer
LateStarter@46 said:

...then it's easy to graduate to laughing for the rocks :-)

I've got an Exorcist-style picture in my head. Rocking on your stomach laughing manically...

Richard Sassoon

Cool!

I will try it, like this guy

Coach Sommer
Sisyphus said:

I remembered this thread while I read this paper on stretching - http://ptjournal.apta.org/content/90/3/438.long

 

It seems that some initial ROM gains are probably just a reduced sensitivity to the discomfort of the stretch :)

 

Good point.

 

Initial strength gains can be much the same; a reduced sensitivity to the discomfort of the effort involved.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer