This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Quadricep pain after pistol

Started by Guest, January 24, 2014 · 5 Replies · 159 Views

Guest

Today, I felt like trying a pistol on each leg. I elevated my heels, and did one left first. I stalled about halfway up, but finished. Right leg I became unbalanced when I first began to come up, and used my hands to push up a little bit. My left leg felt strained again during this (I have no idea?).

 

I did these with no warmup, and in hindsight I am a dumbass for doing so... My quad felt fine afterwards, so I did 3x5 of back squat at an easy 95lbs.

 

I've been hand massaging/foam rolling, as well as stretching.

 

Any other ideas/suggestions?

thecolin

Don't raise your heels. It's an easy cheat that bypasses the mobility and mechanics of a proper pistol. I did the same thing when I started out trying to do pistols, with the same results. I'm now focusing on general ankle mobility, glute activation and SLS/SE2.

 

What SLS element are you working on now?

Matthieu Jeandel

Don't worry :-) Quadriceps pain after pistol may be the result of excentric work during pistol exercices.

 

During the pistol you have to control more the descent of the movement because of the balance, this and the increase load (one leg instead of two) on the quad, increase the excentric work.

 

Because of the elevate heels, maybe you don't have enough stretch in your quads, gastrocnemius, ... to do a pistol correctly. 

 

So not enough muscles elasticity + eccentric work = pain :-)

 

So don't worry... Work on your mobility and after that you can work on eccentric work.

 

Sorry for my english :-) 

Guest

I woke up this morning with no pain.

 

I'm not working any F or H elements as of now. My track season starts in about 3 weeks, and I want to get all the aerobic work I can in before it. F/H take too much of my time and not enough tradeoff.

Christian
Awarenesss said:

Today, I felt like trying a pistol on each leg.

And you wonder why you feel pain??!!

Guest

@Christian, very true.. Very true.. haha