This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Newcomer general questions (bear with me)

Started by Austin7, January 23, 2014 · 3 Replies · 131 Views

Austin7

First of all, I love the whole set up of foundation! I have been doing my own GST for the past year and also work at a gymnastics facility (so I understand the importance of not skipping progressions and proper form). I bought foundation 2 instead of 1 so I am unable to ask these basic questions in that part of the forum. So... 

 

1. I understand that rest time between exercises should only be enough to do the required mobility, but wouldn't a short rest time (ex. 1 minute) be appropriate for exercises such as the tuck planche and the bent arm straddle planche leg extension?

 

2. Generally in the fitness world, it is known that stretching the muscles statically for a period of time before attempting an exercise increases the range of motion but decreases the power output. Based off that, would the Bench Pike hang (MN/PE8>iM) be detrimental towards the Leg lifts?

 

3. For integrated mobility (for example sPL/SE1>iM), if am unable to do the mastery required hold time (10 sec.), do I follow the masterty template for 10 sec hold? (So i would do 3x2 sec on Week 1 and 4x4 sec on week 5)?

 

 

Daniel Burnham

1.  These exercises assume you have built up the necessary volume in foundation 1.  If you have those down you shouldn't need much rest.  At most it should be a few seconds.  That is part of the strength of foundation series.  That said.  It differs for people.  Some larger people may end up needing a bit more rest.  For mastery though you should have no problem with these.

 

 

2.Long static stretching can reduce power output.  You shouldn't notice it too much from the bent pike hang.  Plus the exercises you list are opposite muscle groups so it won't be a problem.

 

3. Can you do the previous masteries?  This is the first thing to consider.  If you can do all previous mastery then you can try micro loading as you suggested.

Alan Tseng

If you understand the importance of not skipping progressions, why have you skipped Foundation 1 and went directly to Foundation 2

ausswe

The foundation series builds upon the previous level so going straight to f2 does t really work without having f1 mastered this is why you seem to be having trouble.