This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Doing the iMs more often?

Started by Erik Rissanen, January 23, 2014 · 18 Replies · 803 Views

Erik Rissanen

Would there be any benefit or harm from doing the H1 iM exercises more often than just in the H1 workouts? Some of them take quite a while to develop for me and I am currently on the 2 day schedule, so I am wondering if doing them more often would speed things up? Or is there a risk of overtraining them?

 

More specifically I was thinking of doing one set of the iM I am currently on between each exercise (not set) during my foundation workouts (which I do four times per week).

Joshua Slocum

Some of the iM's can be pretty taxing on the connective tissues - dislocates in particular. I wouldn't go hard on those more than 2-3 times a week. Most of the other ones are probably fine to do some extra work on. What in particular were you thinking of?

Erik Rissanen

In fact I am on the dislocate (PE5-iM). ;) I'll keep it like this then.

Keilani Gutierrez

I found a nice place to insert iM1-3 and iM 2-4 and that's between my Wrist PE sets. (at a light weight, 3lbs(for iM2-4) and 5lbs for iM1-3)

 

for dislocates, since im not working them and i haven't tried doing them daily(4 days a week) so i got nothing for you there :P 

 

as a daily warm up, I do a set or two in my warm up just to get some blood pumping. 

 

for the work sets, that's when you can push the weight progressively. 

Jon Douglas

I like 1*10 sets each of the flexion and extension IMs (3&4) in my warmup each time; especially before bridge/manna work respectively

Alessandro Mainente

Best thing could be use some Im that you have previously mastered , the im are a natural progression so ideally you are working on something that your connective tissue can handle.

El Chino
alex87 said:

Best thing could be use some Im that you have previously mastered , the im are a natural progression so ideally you are working on something that your connective tissue can handle.

Unfortunately, I have a serious case of zombie shoulders that are so tight that I am still not quite there with the ROM on this iM even though I have mastered the actual PE itself. I am doing H1 twice a week. Would it be wise to add another day perhaps? 

Mats Trane
Joshua Slocum said:

Some of the iM's can be pretty taxing on the connective tissues - dislocates in particular. I wouldn't go hard on those more than 2-3 times a week. Most of the other ones are probably fine to do some extra work on. What in particular were you thinking of?

 

 

alex87 said:

Best thing could be use some Im that you have previously mastered , the im are a natural progression so ideally you are working on something that your connective tissue can handle.

 

 

This is correct. Listen to the above. I did the mistake of doing dislocates too often especially the undergrip. 

These things take time so dont stress it. you dont want to get hurt.

juiop

Wouldnt you agree that some of the later mobility exercises (even if you are not up to it or the related PE) are worthwhile doing now?

 

For example, look at Standing Posterior Pelvic Tilt (PPT HS/PE9>IM)....

It seems as exercises like this will not put any strain on muscles/joints...but is still worth while doing even now. But of course its not necessary. Only if you have a lot of time on your hands.

ausswe

I've just compiled a list of ims to do on my rest days and it includes a lot of ims that I'm not up to yet simply because they are my weak points and I see no harm I doing the easier ounces which are more like a stretch anyway.

Bro'

If it's not weighted mobility and if it's not an iM that is towards the end of a progression (e.g. don't do FL/SE11>iM if you can't do FL/PE5>iM properly), I think you can feel free to use them as much as you want before/after a workout or days off. However, when you do your work sets, do the paired iM.

juiop

Yes this is very true. That is exactly what im doing atm. compiling a list of all the mobility exercises i can do (not so much the weighted ones or the ones that obvioulsy require a prerequisite). But then some of the shoulder stretches you have later, can be done at anytime i would say...so as long as you dont over do the stretch. My favourate part of the foundation series is the extensive mobility exercises. This is something ive been looking for a long time.

IcedDante

What about PE2 iM? I have been doing it about 5 times a week.

Jon Douglas

Are you progressing fine?

RyanC

When striving to get this mobility(im2), should i start wide and then gradually work my way in or start shoulder width and gradually work my way up? or both?

Riku Calderón

First one

Radek

Do you start with weighted bar at the begining or add weight when you can do iM proper height and shoulder width?

 

I prefer the second one but I don't know if I'm right.

Joshua Slocum

Start with a small amount of weight, e.g. 5lbs/2.2kg. Once you've mastered that, you can add more weight and work your way back up to mastery ROM/width. 

IcedDante
Jon Douglas said:

Are you progressing fine?

Good question- I believe I have been making micro improvements but it's hard to tell. Right now with 2kg I can get to horizontal but my grip is about 1-2 inches wider than shoulder width. I do feel like I've been stalled here. This volume is sort of new so I'm still testing.