This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ankle mobility issue

Started by PrimalMove, January 23, 2014 · 7 Replies · 263 Views

PrimalMove

Like the title suggest, I'm having issues with my ankle mobility. I'm currently working on SLS-SE1, but my issue is with the IM. I can't seem to flatten my feet out during the eccentric part of the curl. I know in the video, it doesn't show complete flatness, but since I'm a few weeks away from FL-PE6 and IM which does have the feet completely flat, I want to get a jump start. Any tips?

PS:

I've been having this issue with reverse plank in yoga too.

Bipocni

There's no video....

 

Edit: also, SLS/SE1 is F2 material, no?

Keegan Y

No, SLS SE1 is Hawaiian Squats and is F1 material.

Primal, are you talking about having the feet flat at the start of the IM eccentric or all the way through? Unless you are extremely naturally flexible (and even then I'm doubtful) I don't think it's anatomically possible to have the feet flat at the fully extended position.

PrimalMove

I'm sorry guys. I meant the course videos. I'll recorded my form check on Friday, but yes I'm talking about having the foot completely flat throughout the movement from start to finish. I know for SLS/SE1>IM the foot is flat, but angled in the beginning, but for FL/PE6>IM they seem to be.

Keegan Y

In SLS SE IM6 though you are supposed to straighten out your body at the "bottom" of the movement while in FL PE IM6 you are supposed to keep the hips fully extended and off the floor. This difference makes keeping the feet flat during tge entirety of SLS SE IM impossible, but possible during FL PE IM6. Watch the two videos again and you should see that it is not the same movement or position.

PrimalMove
Keegan Y said:

In SLS SE IM6 though you are supposed to straighten out your body at the "bottom" of the movement while in FL PE IM6 you are supposed to keep the hips fully extended and off the floor. This difference makes keeping the feet flat during tge entirety of SLS SE IM impossible, but possible during FL PE IM6. Watch the two videos again and you should see that it is not the same movement or position.

I understand the differences between the movements, but I'm looking to improve my ROM and mobility for when I get to the FL/PE6>IM. I have tried the mobility for FL/PE6>im and I couldn't extend with my feet flattened. I was just looking to work on it while I worked on my SLS/SE1>IM.

Keegan Y

Oh, ok well that's a different question than thinking that you could keep your feet flat on the floor throughout the entirety of SLS SE1 iM (which again is impossible).

I would work both of Tibialis and toe extensor flexibility via Kit's seated shin/top of foot stretch (it's part of his foot mobility sequence posted on youtube) and strength of your Plantar Flexors (Gastrocnemius and Soleus) and toe flexors/arch muscles.

Just doing FL PE6 iM while trying to keep the feet flat should eventually get you there though.

PrimalMove

Awesome, thank you for the advice!