Sudden wrist pain

Started by Yaad Mohammad, January 22, 2014 · 12 Replies · 2,954 Views

Yaad Mohammad

Hello guys,

 

3 weeks ago I noticed this sharp pain in my wrists, I don't know how I exactly got it, but I think I got it from over training. However, I decided to stop training anything that requires my wrists, but it hasn't gotten better after 3 weeks. I'm getting worried now, not making any progress, and I can't even train handstands, the pain is just so horrible. If I stretch for a long time I can do a bit more, but I'm not sure whether stretching is damaging it more or not. I'd like to know what to do to recover from this injury.

 

Thank you in advance.

Joshua Slocum

See a doctor, figure out what it is. 

 

 

I find that I get wrist pain due to forearm tension. When I take a few seconds to massage my forearms and really stretch the snot out of my wrists, the pain goes away. You can try that to see if it makes the pain go away.

Yaad Mohammad
Joshua Slocum said:

See a doctor, figure out what it is. 

 

 

I find that I get wrist pain due to forearm tension. When I take a few seconds to massage my forearms and really stretch the snot out of my wrists, the pain goes away. You can try that to see if it makes the pain go away.

Sorry for my late reaction, it does not seem to be my forearm, it's at the ulna side of my wrist at the carpals. The pain is still there and I still can't continue my training.

Keilani Gutierrez

did you get checked by a doctor?

 

also, it begs to rehash but Josh's advice about tight forearms is something that resonated with me after two days of sore wrists after playing with Free HS on a mini vacation we took to a beach resort. it didn't hit me until I got home that I had to stretch out my wrists and the soreness has diminished and improved over time. 

 

in your case, since you've been doing certain movements for quite a while, it would take quite a bit of effort to actively release them, so you might need assistance from a professional. trust me on this.(assuming that's the only problem.)

Joshua Slocum
Yaad Mohammad said:

Sorry for my late reaction, it does not seem to be my forearm, it's at the ulna side of my wrist at the carpals. The pain is still there and I still can't continue my training.

That's exactly where my pain is. I have to stretch the snot out of my wrists to get it to go away, but then it's fine. I find the dorsal wrist stretch is most effective; sometimes I just do it on one hand to maximize the intensity. 

Yaad Mohammad
KeilaniG said:

did you get checked by a doctor?

 

also, it begs to rehash but Josh's advice about tight forearms is something that resonated with me after two days of sore wrists after playing with Free HS on a mini vacation we took to a beach resort. it didn't hit me until I got home that I had to stretch out my wrists and the soreness has diminished and improved over time. 

 

in your case, since you've been doing certain movements for quite a while, it would take quite a bit of effort to actively release them, so you might need assistance from a professional. trust me on this.(assuming that's the only problem.)

Haven't checked by the doctor yet.

 

Joshua Slocum said:

That's exactly where my pain is. I have to stretch the snot out of my wrists to get it to go away, but then it's fine. I find the dorsal wrist stretch is most effective; sometimes I just do it on one hand to maximize the intensity. 

Do you still have this pain? Is it wise to stretch over it? And what is the dorsal wrist stretch?

Joshua Slocum
Yaad Mohammad said:

Do you still have this pain? Is it wise to stretch over it? And what is the dorsal wrist stretch?

It's not persistent, but it happens pretty commonly. I'm 90% sure that in my case it's just a matter of overly tight forearms. It's been gradually getting better over time since I started stretching it, so I consider that a good sign.

Yaad Mohammad
Joshua Slocum said:

It's not persistent, but it happens pretty commonly. I'm 90% sure that in my case it's just a matter of overly tight forearms. It's been gradually getting better over time since I started stretching it, so I consider that a good sign.

Alright, so what is the dorsal stretch?

Joshua Slocum
Yaad Mohammad said:

Alright, so what is the dorsal stretch?

Place your hands like the athlete in this video: 

I prefer being on my knees rather than my feet as I have more control that way. Simply lean back while keeping as much weight as possible in your palms. You should feel a good stretch along your forearm.

Micawberian

To add to the other guys, for specific forearm massaging, You can check out the trigger therapy workbook by Claire Davies. The forearm massages there are wonderful and were a central method in the rehabilitative process I underwent in my own wrist injury (similar to yours). Also, the wrist and elbow prehab series in the stickies is nice

And when you are healing up, take the time to check out H1! Great wrist stuff in there.

Joakim Anderson

The tightness causing your wrist pain could also be in the upper arms or shoulders. Try stretching everything and see what releases your wrist.

Yaad Mohammad

Thanks guys! My father is a doctor, but he never takes my injuries seriously or spends enough time on diagnosing me. He told me to just rest, I rested for one more week and noticed there was no difference. I started stretching today and I noticed I gained a lot of ROM and was able to perform a handstand hold. However, after an hour I lost the ROM and the pain was back. My question is whether this will go away in a long term, or should I just rest for a longer period of time?

Keilani Gutierrez
Yaad Mohammad said:

Thanks guys! My father is a doctor, but he never takes my injuries seriously or spends enough time on diagnosing me. He told me to just rest, I rested for one more week and noticed there was no difference. I started stretching today and I noticed I gained a lot of ROM and was able to perform a handstand hold. However, after an hour I lost the ROM and the pain was back. My question is whether this will go away in a long term, or should I just rest for a longer period of time?

the body is a metabolic machine, meaning that if you stop the stimulus, maybe the aggravation will cease but the underlying tightness will not. you will always be playing a game of rising intensity, aggravation, healing, rising intensity, aggravation, etc etc. 

 

if you move, you should also mobilize. if you don't, you should with more reason mobilize because the tissues will remain sticky. 

 

hope you get well soon.