This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Signed up for a Hand-balancing Class at local circus studio!

Started by bombadil, January 22, 2014 · 3 Replies · 131 Views

bombadil

I'm super excited for this 8 week course at Air Temple Arts in New Haven, CT.  However, I'm trying to follow F1 and H1.  I'm a mixed bag, but most of my strength/mobilities are in the PE3 schedule.  

 

Most of the work we're doing in the class is well beyond my scheduling.  For instance, I should be working on things like hollow body rocks and pppus, while the class is having me do planche leans and hollow body rocks (full).  Similarly, the handstand work is starting with timed belly-to-wall handstands (I'm only one forearm stands in H1). 

 

Other than doing way more advanced stuff than my strength level can currently support, most of the wrist prep and mobility drills are similar.  

 

Do you think this progression will be bad in the long run (potential for injury? or overuse?), or, is it helpful and even recommended to challenge oneself to learn more advanced skills even while developing basic/rudimentary strength? 

 

Currently, I'm doing F1 multiple days per week and H1 2x per week.  The class meets one day per week on Sundays. Might this be counterproductive? 

 

Should I cut down on my weekly training to accommodate fore the more rigorous class? Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Joshua Slocum

In short, it's probably fine. Think of it this way: Foundation and Handstand are your meat and green vegetables, and anything beyond that is french fries or dessert. A little bit of exploration in moderation is fine. Just keep track of your body - try to be aware of any fatigue building up or injuries starting to accumulate.

 

Incidentally, which class are you taking? Who's your instructor? 

 

If you see Joel around, tell him I said 'hi'. 

bombadil

Cool.  I brought this up because my wrists/hands do feel very fatigued...  And as I mentioned in the previous thread that I'm still doing some Crossfit training to top it off...  

 

My instructor is in fact Joel!  I will tell him you said hi!  

Joshua Slocum
bombadil said:

Cool.  I brought this up because my wrists/hands do feel very fatigued...  And as I mentioned in the previous thread that I'm still doing some Crossfit training to top it off...  

 

My instructor is in fact Joel!  I will tell him you said hi!  

That is a lot of volume for someone at your level. Don't be afraid to drop something or reduce the volume temporarily. It's better to delay your training by a few weeks than to get injured and be unable to train for a few months.