This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Planche leans really starting to do a number on my wrist...

Started by red1392, January 22, 2014 · 12 Replies · 517 Views

red1392

Any advice for this? I've gotten to the point where I'm leaning quite a bit, which is good... but my wrists feel like they're the first to give out. When I went to do my PPPU today, I started getting tingly/stinging sensations throughout my thenar eminence as I put down pressure, then again as I took it off.

 

I try to do light wrist work 2-3 times a week with various wrist pushups from my knees, but I'm still running into problems. Strangely enough my left wrist is holding up fine. Hence, I suspect it may be an injury from somewhere other than training that has gone unnoticed until now.

 

Probably doesn't help that I have the smallest, most feminine wrists and hands you've ever seen on a guy.

 

Any good rehab tips?

Ravn

Have you tried angling your hands outwards 90 degrees perpendicular to your body, or even so that the thumb is perpendicular to the body? This is the most comfortable position for me during PL leans.

red1392

Hmm, I have, but I've always felt weaker the further out my wrists were... I feel like when they're facing more forward, I can twist them outward into the ground (if that makes sense - the wrists don't actually turn out, they stay planted. Internal rotation I think? Elbow pits face forward) and activate more of my back and get better protraction. I suppose I'll have to try doing it the other way for a while now though.

VegVeg

Yes try a different hand position.

Also when leaning try to grip the floor with your fingers.

 

About your tingling feeling I had the exact same thing, if I remember correctly it was Alex who said that it is about the veins compressing in your hand and that it should disappear in 2-3 weeks.

 

In my opinion if it hurts you should ease it down a bit, stretch it and move it a lot during the day and then add intensity as you feel strong again.

Moving on to elevated PL's for a while worked for me because I felt less pressure on the wrists on that exercise, maybe it will work for you too.

 

 

And as a side note :

I also only felt pressure on one wrist due to my scoliosis, in every exercise I do one side is doing vastly more work than the other weak side because I have a  crooked spine, take a look at your shoulders in the mirror maybe you have it too (hopefully not) :)

thecolin

Are you doing the wrist work from H1, or something you've created yourself?

Adriano Augusto

You really understand what Coach says about H1 and F1 working in synergy when you do Planche Leans. Withouth all the wrist work on HS1 I know that I never would have recovered of my wrist issues in the past, nor be close to mastery planche leans either. 

 

So my recommendation is work on your wrist strenght/flexibility because its an essential component of pl development. You cannot maintain a lean withouth strong wrists. It's not hand positioning whatsoever, is just wrist development. Take care of it

Cole Dano
red1392 said:

Hmm, I have, but I've always felt weaker the further out my wrists were... I feel like when they're facing more forward, I can twist them outward into the ground (if that makes sense - the wrists don't actually turn out, they stay planted. Internal rotation I think? Elbow pits face forward) and activate more of my back and get better protraction. I suppose I'll have to try doing it the other way for a while now though.

 

 

Turning your hands out shouldn't have much effect on the action of turning the elbows out, it's not really the other way around.

red1392

Colin - I usually follow something like the wrist routine here: 

 

But on my knees... 

 

I also do another one where I lean forward on my fist (saw it in one of Ido's videos once).

 

I haven't been doing it long so I guess I haven't yet reaped many benefits of it.

 

Or it's just not as effective as whatever is in H1.

 

Cole Dano said:

Turning your hands out shouldn't have much effect on the action of turning the elbows out, it's not really the other way around.

 

When the hands are angled out less, I feel I can apply more 'torque' to my wrists and hands when turning out my elbows - I feel more planted to the ground. Maybe it's just me. Regardless... just tried it with hands out and I still get the tingly sensations all over my hand.

 

Flo is probably right - it's not my wrist position, its just my wrists.

 

VegVeg - the thing about the veins is interesting... I hope it's something as innocuous as that!

 

Thanks for the advice though guys! I suppose I'll have to grab H1 too. 

thecolin
red1392 said:

 

Thanks for the advice though guys! I suppose I'll have to grab H1 too. 

F1 is intended to be done together with H1, they're not stand alone products, you'll definitely get some crossover benefits. Check it out, you can always get your money back. The mobility work is also great for your traps which will carry over to your planche training. 

 

The video you posted looks like pretty standard stuff, just with horrific form. I've never seen a kipping wrist push up before. :blink:  H1 will show some better progressions and demonstrate proper technique.

 

Another thing that helped me when I started planche leans was forearm massage before and after sets. Place your forearm on the ground and work it with your knee, stopping on any sore spots. It's pretty intense, but it works.

 

You can also try Kit Laughlin's wrist series (it's based on Coach's work, so it's quite relevant):

 

Nash

> About your tingling feeling I had the exact same thing, if I remember correctly it was Alex who said that it is about the veins compressing in your hand and that it should disappear in 2-3 weeks.

Is this accurate?

I'm starting to get this tingling feeling as well during PLs and was worried it was the start of something serious like tendonitis.

I'm in the SEs in H1 wrist work so was quite surprised at this.

thecolin
Nash said:

Is this accurate?

I'm starting to get this tingling feeling as well during PLs and was worried it was the start of something serious like tendonitis.

I'm in the SEs in H1 wrist work so was quite surprised at this.

 

What kind of hand position are you using? I've found that the usual  'fingers apart, gripping the ground' method is far to hard on my forearms. It's even worse as I started to rotate my hands outwards, since more and more pressure is applied to less and less fingers. Once you're at about 45 degrees out, you're basically only pushing with your thumb and index finger, for me that was a lot of pressure for just two fingers.

 

Now I always keep my fingers together and push just from the palm of my hands.

Nash
thecolin said:

What kind of hand position are you using? I've found that the usual  'fingers apart, gripping the ground' method is far to hard on my forearms. It's even worse as I started to rotate my hands outwards, since more and more pressure is applied to less and less fingers. Once you're at about 45 degrees out, you're basically only pushing with your thumb and index finger, for me that was a lot of pressure for just two fingers.

 

Now I always keep my fingers together and push just from the palm of my hands.

 

Thanks for the feedback Colin.

 

I had to stop training for a week due to travel. I just wanted to report that the pain went away and hasn't come back as of yet.

 

I noticed less pressure on my writs if my middle finger is pointing forward. Way more pressure if it's at 45 degrees. Now I"m doing it with amount 20 degrees out and it's feeling much more solid.

curtis

Good advice on this thread. Has anyone tried using wrist supports for PPP and Planche leans? I'm suggesting using supports for only a few of the work sets while wrist conditioning work continues over a period of time (years).

 

My situation is similar to red1392 due to a broken wrist. I tired finding relief by having the palm of my hands on a metal weight plate and doing leans with parallets. It helps, but the strain is still pretty rough. Add in handstand work on the same day and it becomes a lot of unaccustomed strain. So that brings me back to the question of wrist supports.  ????