This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

You thought RC/PE6 was bad?

Started by Jon Douglas, January 22, 2014 · 19 Replies · 1,071 Views

Jon Douglas

I know I'm supposed to be having a rest day, but I got restless and took a long walk after working at the computer all day, stopping at my local park to test through RC/PE21. That went well.

Caveat? Holy crap. Pairing these with 30 second chin grip dead hang is absolute murder on the grip. The final set I couldn't really feel my forearms. Far more taxing than PE6.

 

But I totally did it and didn't break rhythm :D

 

Then I kept walking, feeling almost like a turtle with my lats ridiculously pumped. By the time I got home and opened my laptop, my traps have also stiffened up-- a feeling I never got from FL pulls before Foundation, because I am far better able to lower into a fully extended front lever. I had to work hard, but never once did I feel that I was going to miss a rep. It is a damn good feeling.

 

One more to complete F3 and break out my new Christmas rope. I've never done circle FL pulls before and I'm a bit apprehensive; I'll give them a test tomorrow just to see how they feel, without really pushing it this week. Anyone got cues for that? I have trouble visualising it when I'm hanging over the bar.

Jon Douglas

Also.... 30 sec one arm hang? That might take me longer to build than the pulls..

jaz

Imagine that your two legs form a solid wooden paintbrush and draw a big beautiful circle in front of you with your feet

Jon Douglas
jaz said:

Imagine that your two legs form a solid wooden paintbrush and draw a big beautiful circle in front of you with your feet

So do an FL pull, but think feet in a circle?

Shoulders take care of themselves?

Bro'

Take your rest days seriously, they said. Rest days are important, they said.

 

But hey, why not randomly test through an element?  :P Nicely done, nonetheless.

ausswe

I have to say when I first saw that exercise my first thought was " this will be a sticking point for sure" seems like a huge jump in volume and strength required compared to RC pe21

Jon Douglas
ausswe said:

I have to say when I first saw that exercise my first thought was " this will be a sticking point for sure" seems like a huge jump in volume and strength required compared to RC pe21

Same. I've not done them before and the 10 reps is intimidating... well, no more grip issues for the rest of my life I guess.

 

Technique question;

 

Examining the video, it looks as if his shoulders aren't moving all that much in opposition to his feet; like he's going side-to-side at the hips to an extent. I don't see his shoulders going outside of his hand width there. Can someone in the know please confirm the position of the shoulders at the 'bottom' of the pull?

jaz

To me, the position of the shoulders at the 'bottom' of the pull during RC/PE21 and RC/PE22 is identical

We can observe the same rocking movement in both PE but the momemtum is reduced in RC/PE22 due to circling, so you have to pull harder to maintain your body in a horizontal position. I'm sure it will be easy for you if you have worked RC/PE21 in slow motion

Joshua Slocum
Jon Douglas said:

Same. I've not done them before and the 10 reps is intimidating... well, no more grip issues for the rest of my life I guess.

 

Technique question;

 

Examining the video, it looks as if his shoulders aren't moving all that much in opposition to his feet; like he's going side-to-side at the hips to an extent. I don't see his shoulders going outside of his hand width there. Can someone in the know please confirm the position of the shoulders at the 'bottom' of the pull?

There's a bit of hip motion in the video, but his shoulders are also moving in a circle. You should strive to minimize bending at the hips. The top and bottom of the pull are essentially the same as in PE21.

 

If in doubt, take a video and post a form check.

Jon Douglas

Thanks guys, I'll give em a couple of sessions to get the hang of it then post a video if Im still confused.

Jon Douglas

So far my attempts at these looks sort of like a cross between windshield wipers and archer pullups. Kind of hilarious, but not as productive as hoped

I think I was starting to get the hang of it just as my lats were starting to give out. Im optimistic about attacking it on Monday, but would welcome any more tips coming my way :)

Alessandro Mainente

mm just for my curiosity, the total IM is 30 seconds. i've always supposed that if the mastery will done with 30 seconds rest between sets i have to work resting 30 seconds between sets on the current PE, so there is 15 secs each arms?

ausswe

30 seconds each arm

Alessandro Mainente

OK but in that way you are "resting" 1 minute. you are now working for the same mastery scheme.

Jon Douglas

I went for another long walk this evening, and think Ive got the hang of it. My Rom isn't perfect, but Im passing through a flat lever.

Thanks Zach-- your cue was perfect for me, thinking of straightening and then rebending the arms with a moments delay between them. There's a bit of rhythm to it, they're actually quite fun

Unfortunately the bars i am using are outdoor painted and very slippery-- next time i will have to do the Im on the rings

Mark Collins

RC/PE6 is bad...very bad

Ravn
Mark Collins said:

RC/PE6 is bad...very bad

He-heee - Auu!

Mark Collins
Ravn said:

He-heee - Auu!

Now that's cruel. I did get 36,36,24 and 24 today. It's time to drop from 95kg to 85kg. Surely that will help.

strme

yes ,tell me something..  after russian dips 5-5-5-4,RC pe6 is my nightmare.. 48-48-36-36 

ausswe

I switched RC before hbp simply because the strain for. Pe6 feels better after doing some hbp stuff. Also gives a mini between spl and hbp which seems to help considerably.