This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Additional mobility checklist

Started by Jonathan Horowitz, January 22, 2014 · 7 Replies · 374 Views

Jonathan Horowitz

Hi all,

 

I have a lot of mobility work to do, and am working on developing a routine for after my workout. So far I have: 

 

1) kit laughlin's super ankle mobility complex

2) pancake and pike stretches (my hamstring flexibility is TERRIBLE) 

3) hip flexors (another huge issue for me)

4) weighted shoulder dislocates (coach mentioned in the Robb Wolf podcast - awesome listen if you are an anxious recovering crossfitter and need some motivation)

 

What other basic mobility areas are recommended? I have Kelly Starrett's book so I can find specific exercises (and I can also find a ton on this forum), I just need to make a checklist so that I'm covering everything. 

 

I'm going to start posting some form checks soon. Thanks in advance!

 

Brad Mifsud

Well it Kit's book he goes through a full body type check so you can assess what your issues are and then address them.  That may assist as well?

Jon Douglas

Glute activation and pec stretching/activation were/are big for me. Surprising how many issues tight pec minor can cause, and easy fix once you dial in on it

Alan Tseng

Here's the thing I have about keeping a list of to-do's: the more you're doing, the less quality you're spending per item.  not to mention, sooner or later, each motion/muscle will be covered eventually in Foundation (or in Handstand, or in one of the other courses), wait until then to focus on it.  As an example, it's kinda like you mastered scapula pushups, but not swivel hips so you decided to go directly to Forearm Planks while working on Swivel Hips alongside it.

 

but then (for example), you have issues with Swivel Hips and decided to focus more mobility work to master it faster, then that's understandable

Jon Douglas
Hmms said:

Here's the thing I have about keeping a list of to-do's: the more you're doing, the less quality you're spending per item.  not to mention, sooner or later, each motion/muscle will be covered eventually in Foundation (or in Handstand, or in one of the other courses), wait until then to focus on it.  As an example, it's kinda like you mastered scapula pushups, but not swivel hips so you decided to go directly to Forearm Planks while working on Swivel Hips alongside it.

 

but then (for example), you have issues with Swivel Hips and decided to focus more mobility work to master it faster, then that's understandable

Generally I agree with this, but after your focused mobility work for the day, doing targeted work on an area you struggle with is a good thing too :)

Jonathan Horowitz
Hmms said:

Here's the thing I have about keeping a list of to-do's: the more you're doing, the less quality you're spending per item.  not to mention, sooner or later, each motion/muscle will be covered eventually in Foundation (or in Handstand, or in one of the other courses), wait until then to focus on it.  As an example, it's kinda like you mastered scapula pushups, but not swivel hips so you decided to go directly to Forearm Planks while working on Swivel Hips alongside it.

 

but then (for example), you have issues with Swivel Hips and decided to focus more mobility work to master it faster, then that's understandable

1) I'm just trying to build a self awareness of the foundational mobility elements (analogous to the 7 foundational strength elements we are all pursuing)

2) I'm already acutely aware of some areas I want to focus on. For example, I'm almost done with MN/PE1 but I can't quite get my knees all the way to my chest, so I know I'm going to have even more problems when I get to MN/PE2 - so I'd like to start working some of those issues since I know it's going to be a long road

3) swivel hips is a perfect example - I'm on my second time through weeks 9-12 of sPL/PE1 (and anticipate  doing it probably for 2-3 more cycles), but I'm mostly limited by the swivel hips. If there are additional mobility exercises I could be doing to "unglue" my hips, I want to be working them 

Tomas Johansson

Jon, could you describe the excerices you do for the pec minor? I have a feeling my pecs are really sleepy.

Jon Douglas
Tomas Johansson said:

Jon, could you describe the excerices you do for the pec minor? I have a feeling my pecs are really sleepy.

I've just taken this in snippets straight from a short PM conversation with someone asking about this too; not edited for coherence~

 

--

 

What's been working for me lately are introducing some activation work into my warmups;

- 10 dumbbell chest flyes

- 10 lying dumbbell Cuban presses

(both of these are really light, 5kg on each bell, just activation)

- External rotation work from F3 HBP progressions

 

The last piece of the puzzle was discovering (from the external rotation work) how insanely tight my left pec was. This was actually a pretty quick fix; I lay on the armrest of my couch, with my left arm hanging free over the side, straight, and just spent about 5-10 minutes lying there, letting it relax and letting the weight of my hand/arm stretch it slowly downward. Repeat right side. The difference has been quite striking; a touch of scapular winging on my left side has been eliminated completely and my engagement is much better. I've just had a deload week, and I'm optimistic about planche work this cycle.

 

 

--

 

Flies work very well because you can really dial in on chest. If you need to change the angle you could move to concentration flies as in this article;

http://www.fitstep.com/Misc/Newsletter-archives/issue70/how-to-feel-your-chest-working.htm

The language in the article is dumb, but the principle stands. It's not meant to be a workout, light is fine, but I am really starting to see the value of activation work in a warmup.

 

I have played with things like maltese leans on floor, and a similar drill with dumbbells, but these are not light drills. I hesitate to recommend them unless you are very proficient at planche leans. They are good exercises, but for the purposes of activation I think flies are the way to go, at least in the initial re-educating of the muscles.

 

I tried the pec stretch with weights in my hands as you described, but it didn't feel any better than without them--- if there's no difference, I'd rather not use weight and treat my body a little lighter, considering what I put it through daily ^_^ but depending on where you are tight and how tight you are, you may want to try that too.

 

Hope this gives you some ideas,

Jon