This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 form check

Started by BDS, January 21, 2014 · 16 Replies · 290 Views

BDS

Hey guys, so instead of cluttering the board with threads asking yall to check my form, I was hoping I could keep it all in one.

Here's my workout from this morning. I just recently started F1 so a lot of the mobility movements I was unsure of what the goal was to accomplish with my body(swivel hips for example)

Anyways if anyone could take just a few minutes, any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://drw.sh/cawj

Iguanus

Your vídeo is set as Private. Try changing it to not listed =)

BDS

Still private?

P5yx

Don't want to be rude here, but did you check your form against any of the videos? There are a lot of mistakes in your form

which you can easily observe by comparing your video with the official ones. Nevertheless keep training. Progression will come.

VegVeg

^ seconded

Murray Truelove

FL: you're too high, it looks more like a v-up. Check the video again, you might find it useful to look at the later hollow body hold to get an idea of the shape you need to make.

Bit too much forward and back motion on the im.

sPL: hard to see but it looks like you're bending your elbows, this is common so you just need to focus on the protection and retraction. You need your feet wide in the swivel hips so you have room for your knees to drop down.

HBP: tense your glutes so you're more hollow and maybe try something a bit higher, up to you. Im seems alright but hard to see.

RC: move under the rings, at the moment they're above your head they need to be above your hips. Look at the video again. For the lat stretch maybe find something lower down.

Look over the videos again before your next work out. It can be useful to film yourself and review your footage side by side with the course material.

BDS

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll check out the videos before I do the workout again. It's been a while so I was mostly going off memory.

Hopefully I can keep this thread going to keep up with my progress?

BDS

Also what does it mean to be more hollow?

Jennifer

Check this PDF out.

BDS said:

Also what does it mean to be more hollow?

Murray Truelove
BDS said:

Also what does it mean to be more hollow?

The shape you're trying to make in FL. It's an essential position in gymnastics. Tight core with your "tail" tucked. In HPB it'll stop you piking your hips.

Keegan Y

Look up Posterior Pelvic Tilt, it's essentially "tucking" the tailbone and flattening out the curve in the lumbar spine.

BDS

http://drw.sh/cbsk

Here's today's workout

Thoughts

Tuck up - felt like it was OK. Hopefully I'll become more comfortable with it in time

Stiff Leg Windmill - Pretty terrible. I didn't realize how far behind me the weight was at the bottom. Maybe not so much movement from left to right? Just poor flexibility overall.

ABH- this was as high as I could get my chest and legs. Hopefully I'll be able to develop more rom as I get stronger.

Hip Circles - feel like these are really rigid right now. Hopefully this will improve also overtime.

Deck Squats - felt like these were OK. Maybe more control rolling back. I still have to hold 5 pounds to get back to my feet. Feel like my back is really rounded when I'm driving back up.

Skiers - Actually feel OK about these. Maybe I need to keep my knees closer together and more rotation?

Again any help would be terrific. I know I have a long ways to go but progress will come!

Thanks guys

Jennifer

You have some form issues.  For example, with skiers your feet should stay flat on the floor.  For ABH your knees should not be bent.  However, good on you to be filming and evaluating yourself!   Keep looking at the course video alongside your own video, evaluate and adjust. 

 

The one thing I do want to comment on is why are you doing it with shoes on?    To me, it looks uncomfortable and more importantly, you are losing ankle ROM and since your shoe has a heel differential, your feet are not flat when standing.

KibboKift

I can definitely help you with your windmills. With the weight in your right hand you should be bending to your left (and slightly forward). You are bending in the opposite direction. Also, the weight should always remain directly above the shoulder. For me, this was tough at first, since my shoulder mobility is poor, but once you get used to it, it makes it much easier to support the weight.

 

Your tuck ups look ok. I can see you are sitting the chest up and squeezing with your hip flexors rather than using momentum to reach the top of the movement. This is good. The reps will become smoother as you practice and as your strength improves. You will need to improve your ROM a bit, but you're nearly there.

 

Check the ABH sticky for loads of tips on the arch holds. This is a nemesis for 90% of the people starting foundation, so you're not alone.

 

If you can muster some more momentum on the deck squats, it will make the whole thing smoother and easier while you're starting out. I agree with Jennifer - lose the shoes. Ideally your feet would be together.

 

With the skiers

- You need to keep your toes and heels together with your heels on the ground.

- The knees should stay together (or close to).

- As the hips swivel, the body moves with them, so that the shoulders always face the same way as the hips.

- One knee will have to advance slightly in front of the other to allow the hips to swivel.

- Reduce the height of your glutes gradually as you improve

 

Good luck! It's a great move to try and get your form sorted out right at the beginning so you're not wasting your time.

Keegan Y

What Jennifer said.

In regards to each exercise:

Tuck-ups- not bad, just need to get a little more compression (chest to thighs/knees) at the top and make sure your knees and feet are together. Also make sure that the legs and back come off the floor at the same time.

Windmills- way less lean towards the arm that is holding the weight, that is throwing off your form big time. In the future try to film yourself from the same angle as the video in the course is filmed at, IME that helps with comparison (only exceptions might be scap shrugs and deck squats).

ABH- you need to keep that knees locked straight on these. Try to make your legs as long as you can (like you are trying to reach them as far as you can towards the wall "behind you"), this will help you to fully straighten them and activate your glutes. Then, while continuing to reach with them and keep them locked straight try to lift them off the floor.

Hip circles- actually look pretty good, maybe a little more ROM and smoothness, but pretty close

Deck squats-taking off the shoes should definitely help with these, the raised heel of your sneakers is making it harder to get back to your feet. Also work on Tibialis strength (the muscles that "flex" your ankles/toes/Dorsi flex your ankles) to help with your lack of ankle mobility. This should help you to be able to ween yourself off of needing the weight to assist you.

Skiers-keep your heels on the ground at all times. Your form again highlights your poor ankle mobility.

BDS

Thank you all so much for your help guys. I'll try an apply everything on Friday.

With Skiers, a couple of times I've tried to keep my heels flat, I can't squat quite as low, and my chest drops a lot. Which I figure is a combination of my weight on my toes and poor mobility. Any suggestions for that?

Also would I better off staying in week 1 or 2 of the workouts until I get the forms down? Or would there be harm in moving to be week 3 next Monday with higher reps?

Alan Tseng

For skiers, watch the video again and compare it to your video. In your video, your knees aren't rotating left and right.