This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Gender differences

Started by Jacqui Collins, January 21, 2014 · 10 Replies · 302 Views

Jacqui Collins

I'm curious about the differences for males and females for F1. As the program develops will be there be different programs/levels?

My husband and I have been working through F1 & F2. So far we have both been progressing well and at similar levels ... But I'm curious if that will remain the same.

There are big differences between male and female bodies and strengths

Keilani Gutierrez

guess it would have more to do with where you and Mark were when you started than a clear cut gender template, (unless) you both have invested time in certain strength before undertaking F1 training in specific and what deficiencies you both have(like existing or previous injuries.)

im not too versed on what exactly are the pro's and con's are between male and cemale athletes because i've around some women who are way stronger than me and then there's Desiree Walker, whom apparently is stronger than most guys that show up at the seminars and i think thats super cool!

Jacqui Collins

My interest is not specific to mark and I. Gymnastics at the Olympics is very different for males and females ... And I'm curious is it will be different in gymnastic bodies too.

I'm not using the girl card ... I'm willing to try all the elements at 100%

I come from a crossfit background ... And in cf women often struggle in the rings ... So my curiosity has been developing for a while.

Keilani Gutierrez

apparently from what i've heard most women are trained(at the olympic level) for lower body specific but are quite strong in the upper body.

I guess(at least from what i've gathered) is that you get good at what you're exposed to (because F series is upper body and lower body strength)

Keilani Gutierrez

for GST purposes, the curriculum seems pretty clear cut.

now as for how Coach trains his girls, i have no idea. i wouldn't doubt that he'd use everything from whag he's promoted through F and etc

Jon Douglas

Sort of a rambling post here on my view of gender differences...

 

 

It's a bit of a cycle of cause and effect regarding women's upper body strength in gymnastics. Obviously the events they train for are significantly more lower body, so that's where the prep goes. It's what they select for in competitive gymnastics for up and coming girls, so that's where the top competitors end up being strongest too.

 

In terms of general tendency common knowledge says men with somewhat superior upper body strength and females with superior core/lower body, but in each individual case strengths and weaknesses could lie anywhere. If women competed on still rings, no doubt there would be a much larger pool of women who trained for a maltese, for example. When there isn't a population of up and comers working for these achievements, naturally they're going to fall short to the much larger pool of males who ARE training for them. Hormonal and structural differences certainly play a role, but how much? Toooooo much variance to make predictions, and realistically what would you do with them anyway? Give up?

 

There's no reason not to realise your physical potential. Yours will be different to mine; it'd be dumb to deny that there are fundamental physical differences between for eg) my sister and I; she played international field hockey and was a state gymnast before turning successful state level sprinter-- she was a machine of  work capacity and crazy co ordination-- and may have been a better college level athlete than I'll ever be as an adult. Can she do pullups? Nope.

 

Saying 'men can get malt and women can't' doesn't make me any stronger or you any weaker. I may never get it, and you may. I look up to Carmen Amara and I compete with LateStarter@46 (I have the edge currently, but that wouldn't last just because I'm a man if I slacked off in the slightest). Look at Carmen--- a lot of, even most men never get nearly that strong-- she has a straddle planche, weighted rope climbs, and nearly a genuine adult-built manna.

 

Take a lesson from Dragonball-- you are always 'in training.' You are never 'trained.'

 

 

... or at least that's how I see it :)

Jon Douglas

My best friend would also like me to add that that she easily deadlifted bodyweight for several reps the first time she touched kettlebells. Perhaps not record breaking, but not to be sniffed at either :)

 

Edit;

Correction, MY bodyweight, 1.5x hers :)

Bro'

Pretty much what Jon says. We don't really know where women can go in terms of GST. Female gymnasts don't train for the same elements so what they do reach isn't a good indicator of what women could reach if men and women shared the same events or if they just focused on GST. 

I basically feel you'll just have to answer that question for us.  :D But personally, I'm certain that women can achieve these moves as well.

LateStarter@46

I agree with Bro' - you get what you train for. 

 

Yes, there are physiological differences between men and women, but all muscles present in males are also present in females.

 

I personally sincerely hope that Coach does not split us into gender streams. 

 

p.s Jon, how's dat manna coming on?!  :)

Jon Douglas
LateStarter@46 said:

 

p.s Jon, how's dat manna coming on?!  :)

4x24 Mn SE 6 today ;)

Ridiculous hip cramps, but it passes.

LateStarter@46

:icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:

 

I'm coming after you!