This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Form check for sPL/PE7

Started by HamdiC, January 20, 2014 · 6 Replies · 329 Views

HamdiC

Starting week 9 so thought I'd check in with the form, a bit of a strange movement to get used to. Any comments most appreciated.

 

Christian

If you check the focus points it says:

 

"As much as possible, initiate the lift from the upper back"

 

So this is not just a planche lean with a funny leg kick, but you want to lean forward as much as you can, almost til you fall over, then try to lift the legs off the support. Not just kick with the legs.

 

Of course to an extent you will use legs and momentum, but as little as possible.

ausswe

Your legs are all floppy they should be solid and like Christian said try bouncing from the upper back by bouncing forward a bit more

HamdiC

Excellent notes, thanks guys. Let me give it a try.

HamdiC

Update: I've been obessing over this for the past few weeks, videoing each workout, reviewing the notes and official video. It FEELS much different now... but not much different visually in the video. No matter how much I try I just can't emulate the official video in that my knees bend more. However, I have figured out that the bend in knees come from the pain I experience with the tops of my feet slapping down on the stool I'm using, so it's actually about softening that blow of coming down, but not using leg momentuem to initiate the lift.

 

The lift does come from the upper back, as hard as it might be to see. Actually when I look at the official video, I don't see any movement from the back at all in the athlete, it seems that his hips are moving. So... despite my floppier knees than the official video, is this form correct? Because taking in the performance notes, and what has been said above, it does FEEL like the correct movement to me. Any comments are appreciated!

 

HamdiC

Thanks, Zach.

Zach Armijo said:

It still looks like you are engaging with with legs for the majority of the movement. The legs should be stiff as possible and your lean should be engaged much more. The greater the lean, the more successful you will be in pulling with the upper back. So focus on leaning much harder and keeping a solid core and tight hollow as always with a straight body. The lean is most key for maximal upper back activation. 

So I should focus on increasing the angle of the lean more?

ausswe

I think of it like an old balance scale so the further you lean the more equally you distribute the weight among your head and your feet. You want to reach the point where your lean has enough weight on the front that it only requires a small push for you to lift up briefly but not enough weight to keep you balanced in the air. At least that is how I imagine it.