hot yoga/ bikram yoga

Started by LateStarter@46, January 20, 2014 · 18 Replies · 4,892 Views

LateStarter@46

From Kit Laughlin's first post at http://kitlaughlin.com/forums/index.php?/topic/162-notes-on-how-to-use-stretch-therapy-written-for-an-experienced-coach-who-is-a-new-user-of-stretch-therapy/#entry328 I ended up at 'hot yoga'.

 

Is anybody doing this? If so, how often, how long have you been practising it, and what have the results been so far?

 

I was thinking of starting a weekly/?daily home hot yoga session - using ideas from http://www.bikramyogaposesguide.com/tips-for-doing-bikrams-26-yoga-poses-at-home/ and Kit's stretches for my particular problem areas.

thecolin

 

Did you catch this part?

 

 

 

Maintaining heat can only be done by using dual layers of tights and thick cotton tracksuit pants in my experience. Ambient heat is no help here: the human body is expert at shedding heat (the result is that no matter what exercise is being done, or what the ambient temperature is, the human body core temperature hovers around 98.6 F, unless something goes wrong, like rhabdomyolysis). 
Bipocni

I've heard hot yoga can be pretty disgusting if they don't clean the studios after pretty much every session.

 

Ideal conditions for bacterial growth...

LateStarter@46
thecolin said:

 

Did you catch this part?

Yes I did, but I live in a cold draughty house so the more heat the better  :)

 

@Bipocni - yes, another reason to do it at home rather than in a studio

thecolin
LateStarter@46 said:

Yes I did, but I live in a cold draughty house so the more heat the better  :)

 

 

I understand, I workout in an unheated garage.  :wacko:

Bipocni
thecolin said:

I understand, I workout in an unheated garage.  :wacko:

I workout outside, in the rain.  :icon_twisted:

TANSTAAFL
thecolin said:

I understand, I workout in an unheated garage.  :wacko:

Bipocni said:

I workout outside, in the rain.  :icon_twisted:

 

...uphill, with rocks in my hat.

thecolin
Bipocni said:

I workout outside, in the rain.  :icon_twisted:

 

It rains every time you work out? Either you don't workout enough, or it rains too much where you live!  ;)

Bipocni
thecolin said:

It rains every time you work out? Either you don't workout enough, or it rains too much where you live!  ;)

Welcome to wales....

spinelli

Wales was awful all through December, don't think there was one day it didn't rain whilst I was back

synchroGENized

 

 

Maintaining heat can only be done by using dual layers of tights and thick cotton tracksuit pants in my experience. Ambient heat is no help here: the human body is expert at shedding heat

that would explain the warm-up outfits of rhythmic gymnasts and ballet dancers

 

corella-ballet-by-gran-angular.jpg

Ravn
Bipocni said:

I workout outside, in the rain.  :icon_twisted:

Outside, in the snow. Eat lead, suckers!

thecolin
Ravn said:

Outside, in the snow. Eat lead, suckers!

 

 

I didn't want anyone to feel inferior, so I didn't admit that once a week I train in lava three kilometers underground.

 

And I also took this picture on Sunday:

post-3734-0-63517100-1390329569_thumb.jp

Jennifer

I workout with kids in the house.   

Need I say more?

:ph34r:

El Chino
Jennifer said:

I workout with kids in the house.   

Need I say more?

:ph34r:

I think we have a winner here.  :)

TANSTAAFL

I workout with 'kid' in house, the plural being miles harder. Needless to say if she's botherin' me I just tell her to get back to work:

image.jpg

Jennifer

Cutie pie!

Bipocni

She doesn't look to happy to be doing that dislocate....

TANSTAAFL
Bipocni said:

She doesn't look to happy to be doing that dislocate....

Just as it should be, the Foundation mantra: Strong desire to do it, uncomfortable while doing it.

 

Edit:  Or to put it a little more lyrically: Desire abounds, comfort wanes.