kip to support on rings

Started by mrobertweiss, January 20, 2014 · 5 Replies · 2,222 Views

mrobertweiss

Are there any useful suggestions  for progressions to achieve a kip to support? 

 

I would be pleased to do this even with bent arms, rather than the required straight arms.

 

I am working through foundation 1, and handstand,  and  am capable of  5 strict muscle ups strung together,  with only slight piking.However, I cannot seem to achieve the force necessary with rapid, forceful hip extension in the inverted position, to get in a place where the situp portion of the move can be effective. I think my timing  is  wrong, as well.  It just feels like it is impossible to do.

 

I have been doing some pike-ups on the parallel bars, and also practicing just hanging  for prolonged periods inverted  on the rings with back parallel to floor, and  also  doing some reps from that position , opening up the hips, and returning to pike. I have been performing sets of bulgarian dips as well. I am able to do 60 seconds hang with RTO  as well. I may be incorrect, but  I would hope I have sufficient strength to get this , even with bent arms.

 

Any suggestions ( other than the usual dogma and dicta of 'just do foundation', etc) would be much appreciated.  I realize there is a need to work through the GB  program methodically and in order, but there is also  a desire to  try  doing some of the  interesting fun moves anyway.

 

 

Daniel Burnham

It is very difficult to try and explain it to you in text.  Take a video of your attempt and Ill look at that to make suggestions.

Coach Sommer

Not dogma; reality.

 

It is difficult to make helpful suggestions when you are attempting skills that you are not yet strong enough to train effectively.

 

The recommendation of completing F2 before beginning focused ring strength is there for a reason.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

mrobertweiss

Sir:

I reckoned on these answers. If I had an inkling of the performance requirements in F2, I would be able to assess the areas I am not strong enough in. In other words, if I knew what you had to do in F2, I would know.But I cannot find out without purchasing the F2, which I am not ready for, because I have not completed F1.  If purchasing your book would give me that information, I could do that, but the book sounds redundant in the face of the online courses.  Catch 22.  Let me know if you think the book purchase is worthwhile for the purposes of seeing over the horizon.

 

It is your world, I am just living in it; I am sure you are correct. What I would prefer to do is actually see that I am not strong enough to do something, rather than have someone tell me that. Right now, I was not convinced it was entirely a strength issue, but to some extent, technical as well. Perhaps I am entirely wrong about that. Thanks for your input.- m weiss

Jonathan Horowitz

The courses have a money back guarantee if you aren't ready for them...

mrobertweiss

That's a good point, I appreciate   the input, but it seemed pointless to pursue that here , since  I was told in no uncertain terms that  I had insufficient strength by Coach Sommer, and I got one or two PMs that made me think I was  somehow, unwittingly  antagonizing  people ....

 

Working through the foundation-one   workouts religiously, especially the hollow body and archer rocks and holds, has really helped, however.

There is another more or less concurrent  thread on the backward roll elsewhere in this forum section,  with a couple of videos where he is using a band. Based on that, as well as carefully watching some individuals do the move whom I consider to be no stronger than I, has convinced me to press on anyway.I understand that this might be construed as not  accepting 'reality'.

Also, there were some really good suggestions that got PM'ed, and I found some good progressions to work on. These have been very helpful. There were some excellent summaries and  descriptions   at www.Haui.eu, - he has done an incredibly nice job of  organizing and outlining these.   And  I have made some significant progress with the piking and kipping, both with my mobility , and  with smoothing it out and properly directing it for momentum . Dave Durante has also done some nice work  on progressions(powermonkeyfitness.com), and his dream machine really helps get a better spatial awareness of  both forward and backward movements for those of us with insufficient strength.I found some useful information  and some relevant progressions  at GMB, (although they can be a little goofy sometimes).

 

I think I will get it eventually.Working on the progressions certainly won't hurt. I will post a video  to get some  criticism as soon as I have a creditable performance. Reality might intervene.. Thanks.