Active split flexibility help

Started by Junkyard, January 19, 2014 · 3 Replies · 2,294 Views

Junkyard

So after a good warm up and several slides into splits increasing range each time I can preform them.

 

My question is, how do I get to the point that splits are no longer something I have to spend 30-45 minutes warming up to?

 

It's taken me a while to get to this point and now that I'm here doing splits, I don't know where to take my flexibility training from here and I don't know how to gain active split flexibility.

Daniel Burnham

Use pnf to get to the bottom of the split faster. Then you can work the end range of motion better. Once this gets comfortable start using your muscles to do a sort of eccentric down to the split rather than lowering with your arms. Then at the bottom think about forcing your legs apart to build strength in the bottom isometric.

Approach this slowly and listen to yourself. Nothing worse than a strain resetting your stretching progress.

Junkyard

I don't use any sort of lowering with my arms anymore, I got my split by doing an eccentric all the way down. And I can sit at the bottom position for about 10 seconds. Is it really just a matter of building strength in the bottom position to gain the active ability?

Daniel Burnham
Junkyard said:

I don't use any sort of lowering with my arms anymore, I got my split by doing an eccentric all the way down. And I can sit at the bottom position for about 10 seconds. Is it really just a matter of building strength in the bottom position to gain the active ability?

Yep pretty much. And using pnf to get there faster. You need to get closer to about a minute before the range will open up more easily for you. I would concentrate on accumulating a bit more time first then build the strength a bit more.

You are close! Keeps it steady and you'll be there in no time.