This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

manna seems really dangerous

Started by Ronin168, January 19, 2014 · 10 Replies · 531 Views

Ronin168

i know we're all learning to do the manna from foundations, but manna strikes me as incredibly dangerous.

 

here is a link to a picture of the manna position:

 

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gymnasticbodies.com%2Fforum%2Ftopic%2F281-manna-an-advanced-static-strength-element%2F&h=0&w=0&sz=1&tbnid=CcFqE2a-RXJBHM&tbnh=211&tbnw=239&zoom=1&docid=b2-Qf-Nh53b6BM&ei=ymrbUovmMdbloATW84HIDA&ved=0CAIQsCUoAA

 

look at the attached picture of the manna.  

 

manna is a handbalancing move.  we all have practiced handstands and fell down.  but what happens if you lose your balance and fall down towards your head during a manna?  it seems like an easy way to break your wrists, elbows, or shoulders.

 

any thoughts?

Daniel Burnham

Na. It's a short fall to the back. Worst that can happen is your bruise your butt. At least in my experience.

Ronin168

no, i'm referring to what happens if you fall the other way, towards your head

Daniel Burnham

Yea me too. You don't teter on your head. Your shoulders break in strength and you just fall through. So the shoulder close and body moves back then you hit back and butt. Not big deal. I did it a hundred times on the floor with no I'll effect.

I suppose it could be possible to hold full extension and fall on head but not probable.

Bipocni
Daniel Burnham said:

I suppose it could be possible to hold full extension and fall on head but not probable.

Wouldn't your feet just hit the floor?

Joakim Anderson
Bipocni said:

Wouldn't your feet just hit the floor?

 

Or maybe your traps/neck/back of head and feet simultaneously, which would be a very easy stretch for anyone halfway to a manna.

Jon Douglas

I think this would be near a non-issue for anyone with the support strength to get to a full manna position.

No more dangerous than a handstand, in that sense.

Daniel's the one with the firsthand knowledge though.

Helander

Haha, I doubt I will ever reach the level of shoulder flexibility to be able to fall over on my head from manna!

Bipocni
Zach Armijo said:

....Just think of how many people hurt themselves walking every day too. Hmmmm..... :ph34r:

We have to do something!