This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scap PU & Swivel Hips form check

Started by SoyeBoy, January 18, 2014 · 3 Replies · 173 Views

SoyeBoy

Hi guys,

 

Another form check from me! Hopefully I can start adding some helpful insight to other people's videos, but for now I'm still a raw beginner, so as always help is much appreciated.

 

Side angle view here - I'm questioning if my back is too arched at the bottom of the movement ?- I know some sag is acceptable, but is this too much? Any comments on swivel hips are welcome although I know I'm a bit of a way off on these.

 

 

TANSTAAFL

Only have a minute, but the swivels look pretty darn good. Nice ROM. The shrugs need some work.

 

Firstly slow them down and focus on moving only from the scaps. You are correctly concerned about the sag, as you want to maintain a hollow position. At times it struck me a little like the Cat/Cow iM. Get rid of the sag and the rounding at the top. This will make these harder, but alas, so it is with form...for the most part anyway.

 

Review the demo video again, as well as some of the other form checks on the forum and get back to work already :angry: .

SoyeBoy

Thanks TANSTAAFL,

 

Upon reviewing the demo vid and also some other form checks and Scap PU threads it would seem that a little sag is acceptable and that the main point of this PE is to concentrate on the scaps. Is the rounding at the top not just pulling the shoulder blades fully apart?  I would question if concentrating on the hollow position at this stage might be being too cautious as this seems to be covered in later PEs.

In terms of tempo, granted this is faster than the demo vid, but I believe that I am displaying an acceptable level of control over the movement.

Any feedback on my remarks is welcomed.

TANSTAAFL

I don't think a little sag is not gonna be a problem. As for hollow, I am of the 'form as perfect as possible from the get go' camp, so I tend to try and get everything in order first. Personally I wouldn't think you'd get a pass for mastery without at least a fairly decent hollow, but I'm not a judge so I'm not sure :).

 

There will be some rounding at the top, but think of it in mostly the upper back/shoulders. Your pelvis/hip line should stay fairly steady, as opposed to yours where your hips/butt go up for the protraction and down for the retraction. The only major movement should be in the shoulders/upper back, everything else should remain fairly static.

 

Hopefully that doesn't make things less almost confusedly.