This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Routines for Old Guys

Started by Gerald Silberman, March 26, 2009 · 2 Replies · 504 Views

Gerald Silberman

Hello all,

I've lifted weights for over 30 years before I got a hold of Coach Sommer's book late last year and decided to give gymnastics training a try. It is unbelievable to me the gains I've experienced since I started (as a new year's resolution). The training has been so enjoyable to me I hate days off and can barely wait unti it's time to train again. I hope to be able to work on some skills after my strength improves.

And there's my problem. This past week I totally crapped out on my gymnastics workout. I've overtrained and will need to take a few days off to begin again - very frustrating. I'm 49 years old and I feel I don't have all that many years left to develop the necessary strength and skill to practice gymnastics at least on a basic level. My current workouts have been about 45 minutes in length, 3 times per week focusing on back lever workout, HePUs, dips, pullups, and leg work.

My question for the group is it preferable to work out less frequently (perhaps dropping down to 2 workouts per week), or do shorter work outs more frequently? I'm leaning more toward the latter.

Also, are there competitions in gymnastics for regular people? Are there adult meets with age categories as there are for other sports? I haven't been able to find much on this - of course most of the people my age have given up on their bodies and taken up golf.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Jerry

Blairbob

Occasionally there are seniors or geriatrics meets. I know women can compete in the compulsories and optional levels at virtually any age. I thought there are age limits for males, though at JO meets. If a meet is run through the USAIGC, a male can probably compete at a variety of levels or age. I've never heard of an adult male competing in a Junior Olympic meet sanctioned by USA Gymnastics though I have heard of some adults competing as Elites. I had thought about doing an adult meet in the bay area or LA area once but lost track of it.

Every 4 weeks, Coach Sommer has stated his athletes do 1/2 as much time for said week. I don't know if that means they take a few days off during the week or only condition for half as much of usual. Do a search on it.

Today, I was feeling dead to the world as the night went on. I managed to win a bet against one of the girls in a tumbling class who thought I couldn't climb the rope ( with my feet, heh [ I asked her legs or no legs ]) so she had to do 25 burpees. If I failed, it would have been me. The other girls said it was a bad bet, but I honestly am not sure if I could have gotten up there without the use of my legs.

I'll finish up the Th WOD or do it tomorrow with Fridays. I did my 3 sets of heavy DL besides the WU and back off set and was falling asleep during the rest times on my back. I did do a bunch of back mobility before as my back was all tight. I probably slept wrong or didn't hydrate/replenish enough or maybe it was something I ate. Sometimes, I have days like this. I probably should have done the tabata interval with the adult class so I did something.

I think there are a few people on the boards here, who regularly take a week off every 5-8 weeks. In my case, sometimes I take a workout day off and go 2-3 days without working out really ( I still am active riding my bike or walking or doing some chi kung ).

Gerald Silberman

Thanks Blairbob. I really have to talk myself into taking days off - I know if you don't it only holds back your progress anyway. That's pretty disappointing news about the competitions, but I guess if this sport continues to increase in popularity, who knows, that could change.

Jerry